Apply for this job
WHAT IMPACT CAN A LEAD UI/UX DESIGNER HAVE AT ESG?
At East Side Games, we all band together to deliver a world-class gameplay experience for our players around the globe. Whether that’s working with Ricky and the Gang on Trailer Park Boys: Greasy Money, or any of our other current or upcoming titles, you’re committed to making memorable player experiences.
As UI/UX Designer working across both our publishing division and LiveOps team, you’ll bring a keen sense of user-centered design, an eye for detail and a love of mobile games. You'll be a main point of contact for UI/UX working with our partner games, guiding teams and ensuring UX best practices for Usability and Accessibility. You’ll be a champion of empathy and understanding the needs of our diverse playerbase. We're a remote first studio and encourage all applications.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work with internal game teams to create and iterate on user flows, wireframes, prototypes, icons, and interactions, ensuring consistency and alignment to best practices.
- Work with partner studios - conduct regular reviews of design documentation, provide feedback and recommendations for improvement.
- Evaluate UX Design processes and provide solutions to improve workflows and deliverables.
- Work on multiple features concurrently - ensure consistency across both UX and UI style.
- Provide reviews of in-game implementation of features, ensuring alignment to specifications.
- Work with Game Design and Product, align on player-facing feature functionality and help launch polished features.
- Document and maintain our UI/UX Best Practice Guidelines and partner facing documentation.
- Provide heuristic reviews, discover issues, and provide solutions based on feedback from usability tests and analytics.
- Propose and prioritize UI/UX features and fixes to improve target KPIs, in line with business objectives.
- Work with Art to ensure UI aligns with art direction, working together to present game content through UI.
- Work with Production to plan UI/UX work and deliverables.
- Work with stakeholders, taking feedback and turning it into actionable solutions.
- Advocate for UX and our players, work with stakeholders to align on priorities.
- Ensure adhesion to UX best practices for Accessibility and Inclusive Design, Usability, and platform requirements.
- Work with Product to plan out user research - determine what to test/when.
- Help run usability studies using either Playtestcloud or in-person moderated sessions.
- Help plan and run player surveys.
- Be an expert on idle games and our players, designing for their needs.
*** Duties and responsibilities outlined above are representative, but not all-inclusive
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- 3+ years of professional experience working in UI, UX or similar roles.
- Ability to work across multiple titles.
- UX, Communication Design or Games education background, or similar.
- Understanding of UI/UX best practices for Accessibility & ‘User Centered’ design.
- Understanding of business goals, KPIs and other performance metrics.
- Understanding of UI/UX workflows and processes.
- Strong visual design sense, ability to create polished wireframes, mockups, and interactions that are consistent with art style guides using vector graphics.
- Strong knowledge of UI design and vector art creation tools - Adobe XD (or Figma or similar), Animate, Illustrator, Photoshop.
- Strong knowledge of Unity and UI Implementation.
- Strong communication skills - ability to clearly communicate UI/UX needs and solutions, articulate issues when they arise.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills - displays curiosity and drive, thinks ‘User First’.
- Plays mobile games - understands ‘Free to Play’ games and business model (Bonus if you are an idle game super-fan!).
- Portfolio showcasing previous UI/UX work on other games or similar projects, design sense, technical skill, and reasonings.
- Bonus: Experience working with outside IP or brands, software as a service.
- A gamer, particularly mobile games, but we still love you if you’ve imagined your own board game, play console games, or enjoy other online experiences.
- Hungry, humble, and smart and can use these three pillars to impact you and those around you.
- Comfortable in an environment where priorities and plans change rapidly, but with intention.
- Solution-oriented, self-motivated, and diligent.
- Community-minded, whereby a collective mission of the project is a shared priority.
- Empathic, compassionate, and curious.
- Your values are governed by justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO WORK AT ESG?
Established in 2011, East Side Games started as an indie game studio in east Vancouver. Today, we’re part of East Side Games Group (TSX: EAGR), and we’re a game developer, publisher, and technology provider. We enable creators to successfully deliver memorable mobile gaming experiences that players engage with every day. Through our proven tech kits and beloved brand partnerships, our games empower passionate fan bases to explore their favourite content in a fun, convenient medium, available in the palm of their hands.
The best part is, we’re fans first, which makes this adventure extra special. Our games and our team have the same goal; to be inclusive and for everyone. We get things done and our team is on hand to step in, listen, and support, regardless of rank. Find solutions, share your learnings, then share updates with the whole studio in our monthly All-Hands calls. Have we piqued your curiosity? Then check out our Core Values and Benefits on our website! We note that our culture is not a monolith and is ever-changing based on the folks that make up our team here at ESG.
WE’RE BUILT ON THE FOUNDATIONS OF DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
East Side Games are an equitable employer that values justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We welcome and encourage people of marginalized backgrounds, particularly QTBIPOC folks, to apply, and will acknowledge and value the strengths you bring to foster yours and the studio's growth.
If this sounds like something you hoped for and more, and you’re enthused to build genre-defining narrative idle games, click the “Apply For This Job” button. If now is not the right time for you, but you know someone who would be a great match for us at East Side Games, check out our Referral Bonus on our website too! Let’s build great games together!
We can’t wait to hear from you!
Due to a small, but completely awesome recruitment team, only those candidates that qualify will be contacted. Thanks for your interest in ESG and we wish you the best of success in your job search!