It’s an incredibly exciting time here at Space Ape Games. We have projects at all stages of the development cycle, along with a fast-paced environment that promotes genuine autonomy. We launched our successful music game, Beatstar, in 2021 and are expanding our music franchise within the business! We’re preparing to globally launch our new creative puzzle game, Chrome Valley Customs, this year! And we also have some exciting projects we’re working on behind the scenes!
Space Ape is offering UI Designers the opportunity to join our studio on an eight-week paid UI Designer intern programme. We’re looking for aspiring creatives, passionate hobbyists, students of the craft and anyone who has decided on games as their career path. You will work collaboratively in cross-functional groups with designers, coders, producers, and more.
At Space Ape, our goal is to make great games with great people, and we are always looking for talented people to enrich our work and community. We believe it’s important for our studio to reflect the diversity of society and the worldwide audiences for whom we make our games.
What will I be doing?
- Be part of the creation process of in-game production pipelines.
- Level up your skills and techniques through mentorship from industry experts.
- Help produce UI designs and User Experiences as well as game ready UI assets
- Brainstorm, ideate and play a part in planning new features.
- Gain familiarity with industry-standard production tools.
- Help us ship builds and be part of our agile development practices.
- React to live data coming directly from our players.
Where is it?
The internship will take place in our central London office. Depending on the internship stage, you will work onsite between 2-5 days a week. The internship will last for eight weeks, beginning August 28th, 2023.
The ideal Intern will showcase the following qualities:
- Curious & Hungry to Learn
- Passionate About Mobile Games
- Proactive & Resourceful in Finding the Answers
- Comfortable with Feedback
- Confident in Making Your Own Decisions
- Self-Motivated: Because You Have to Want It
- Not Afraid to Ask Questions or Seek Help
- Positive Attitude
What do I need to have
- A degree level education in art and recent graduate status
- A portfolio demonstrating a solid appreciation of UI/UX fundamentals
- Strong visual design skills with regard to colour theory, design, layout
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Figma or equivalent UI/UX art and design software
- An avid interest in all types of art & graphic design.
- A professional, proactive & collaborative work attitude.
- Passion for games & mobile gaming.
- A "raise the bar" attitude.
Why Space Ape?
- Did we mention we are globally launching two games this year? Immerse yourself in meaningful projects and become a valuable part of the team.
- Hone your skills alongside the industry’s best talent and gain unparalleled experiences through mentorship.
- Enjoy our company-wide events, launch parties and studio perks!
- Our interns go on to do amazing things! There is potential for full-time employment with us following a successful internship.
- Space to innovate and learn new tech/tools.
How do I apply?
Please fill out our application in Workable and include a Cover Letter and link to your portfolio telling us why you think you would be the right candidate. As an Art team member, you'll need to be a great artist and communicator, collaborate with your team, problem-solve, anticipate challenges, and be comfortable receiving feedback. Take your time with your Cover Letter, as this will be one of the main ways for us to get to know our hopefuls.
Please note: our application deadline is July 28th; however, we recruit on an ongoing basis, so early application is advised.
Recent grads who are within the first year post-graduation are eligible to apply. You must have the right to work in the UK and be able to travel to central London 2-5 days a week.
At Space Ape we pride ourselves on our passion and the trust we place in our people. We look for passionate, productive, team players who are relentless in their pursuit of our mission. There’s no bureaucracy here, we just get things done. Space Ape’s mission is to make the highest quality and most successful mobile games in the world. Founded in 2012 we’ve since launched five games that have been installed by over 100 million people and generated over $250m revenue.
We are part of the Supercell family, giving access to some of the most talented game makers on the planet.
Our studio is currently 120 strong and built around the belief that small empowered teams make the best games. This philosophy enables us to innovate, move faster and have the creative ownership required to make the greatest games on mobile.