Hey, Charles Burdett here, CEO and Founder of Pip Decks.
I am looking for a legendary UX designer to join our small but mighty team at Pip Decks. Every requirement written in this job is highly intentional. If there is any aspects you don't feel too sure about, it's likely not a role for you.
Contract type: Full Time Employment (UK only)
Location: This is a fully remote position with asynchronous collaboration and no mandatory meetings.
If you didn't know already, at Pip Decks we distill timeless wisdom into practical toolkits. Our mission is to make professional education approachable, accessible, and actionable.
Our trailblazing content business is looking to take our product offering to the next level by developing the digital Pip Decks offering (which might be neatly summarised as a "learning management system" to cater for our growing library of content). Giving our customers more options beyond our awesome physical toolkits to access our content.
We're all about unlocking latent potential in our team, focusing on excellence in the tiny details, and as cliche as it might sound: putting our customers at the heart of everything we do (you should be nodding profusely by now, right?!).
We believe in releasing value to customers early and often and in building a culture that values "finding the truth and telling the truth". We are fully remote and operate on a non-linear working schedule that best suits you.
Here are some more workplace values (fun fact: we wrote these values after we were living them - this isn't vapid BS you find in a PowerPoint, this is real!)
- Trust: We don't require consistent set working hours or constant updates on your work status.
- Autonomy: You have complete authority over how you achieve your responsibilities.
- Outcome-driven: We prioritise results over hours worked.
- Short toes: Feel empowered to improve or fix something without worrying about stepping on someone's toes.
If this sounds at all appealing, and you think you might have the experience, curiosity and work-ethic to apply for this role, please keep reading:
You (the Senior UX Designer) will be integral in optimising the user experience of our shopping journey and developing our core product - the digital Pip Decks experience. As our first UX role, you will be spearheading our UX initiatives and potentially growing the team down the road.
- Steer product decision based on customer insights, needs, and business goals and effectively communicate these to the wider team. Play a key role in influencing product strategy through a deep understanding of related business strategies.
- Conduct usability and conversion experiments with A/B testing tools
- Create designs and prototypes using tools such as Figma, and develop design systems and ensure a high degree of quality and consistency.
- Conduct user research and usability tests to gather insights that guide strategic design decisions and, at a more granular level, user interface improvements.
- Work with our development team to implement designs, understand technical constraints and create a unified "job title at the door" team culture.
- Facilitate remote workshops as necessary to identify requirements, make design decisions, and ensure a shared understanding across the team.
- Continually iterate on design solutions based on user feedback and data, ensuring robust systems are in place for this work to be tested, developed, and released to customers.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other teams, including publishing, customer support, marketing, and content.
- Lead and mentor junior designers on the team as and when the team grows.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a UX role, with a degree in a related field, such as design or research.
- Proven ability to work effectively with developers and demonstrate high degrees of creativity, curiosity, and problem-solving capabilities.
- Familiarity with internationalisation and localisation, coupled with a deep understanding of the full software development lifecycle.
- Extensive experience in designing across various platforms, including web, mobile, and emerging technologies.
- Demonstrated experience in designing, optimising, and improving e-commerce websites or platforms, with a strong understanding of the customer journey, sales funnel, and best practices for improving conversion rates.
- Background in enhancing learning management systems or similar educational platforms, or a willingness to quickly adapt to this domain.
- Solid understanding of basic principles of behavioural psychology, and how to apply these principles to design solutions.
- Comfortable with using data analytics tools to understand user behaviour, identify areas for improvement, and measure the impact of design changes.
- Demonstrated understanding of business strategy and how it informs and aligns with UX design objectives.
- Proven problem-solving skills, backed by a portfolio that showcases design solutions addressing real user needs.
- Resilience under pressure, with the ability to work effectively within ambiguous situations and make informed design decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire cross-functional teams, and work effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Strong organisational and project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- A continuous learning mindset, with a commitment to staying updated with UX trends, tools, and best practices.
- Humble and ego-free approach to work, with the ability to give, receive, and action feedback effectively to continually improve and refine designs based on user needs and business goals.
- 33 days holiday (inc public holidays)
- Remote working budget
- Training budget
- Yearly expenses budget
- A fully remote position with asynchronous collaboration and flexible work hours.
- The opportunity to make a meaningful impact on the success and satisfaction of thousands of Pip Decks customers.
- A supportive and collaborative work environment, focused on growth and development.
- The chance to work with a passionate and dedicated team, committed to driving customer success.
- Pension (matched up to 10%)
Tools We Use:
- Slack: For asynchronous and open conversations.
- Loom: For asynchronous training and demos.
- Notion: For documenting processes, decisions, and ideas.
- Adobe Suite, Canva, Descript: For creating visually stunning and extraordinarily useful content.
- Figma: UI, Design System, Prototyping
- ChatGPT: You know, for everything you don't know!
- VWO: Split testing tool
What we look for in a portfolio, and a bit about the interview process
Our interview process will explore your work history and examples of success and failure. We're interested in gaining an understanding of your process, areas you are strong in and areas that you'd like to grow in. There will also be a (paid) design challenge to help us see your process in action.
Your portfolio must contain two to three stories of your work, your exact involvement, what the problem was, how you approached it, what your process was, what worked, what didn't work, and what you learned. Your application will largely be judged on your ability to communicate effectively in this medium, and a clear demonstration of your process and how you navigated uncertainty. Your interview will poise around these stories.
- A portfolio as described in the section above
- A CV demonstrating your work history, with at least two references from a prior UX role
- A cover letter outlining why you are interested in this role at Pip Decks, what you can bring to the team (that perhaps no other applications might), and how you align with Pip Deck's values and mission. (Note: ChatGPT written applications will be shot out of a cannon into the sun. We are real people hiring real people! You do not need to use a formal tone, I will value your application more if you keep it real [and brief!])