Elastic is an open source search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co
The UX team is seeking a Junior UX Researcher to be part of our growing UX research team. This role will be broken into two equal priorities:
- Research coordination: You will support our UX team throughout the research life cycle, including scheduling, recruiting, participant communication, research tooling set-up (screeners + usability test creation), and participant incentive distributions. We will look to you to streamline our UX research operations at Elastic.
- Conducting UX Research: You will collaborate directly with our design, engineering and product teams by conducting research with Elastic end-users.
In this role you’ll help to optimize our team’s execution of research across the organization and you’ll also be leading research studies by building robust research plans, employing mixed research methods to learn directly from our customers about their needs, attitudes and usage of Elastic. As a Jr. UX Researcher, you will be responsible for assisting and leading research sessions, note taking during sessions and you will synthesize research findings, identifying themes + opportunities for improvement in our features and products.
If you want to continue cultivating your skills to become a well-rounded UX researcher by both conducting and coordinating research for a cutting edge technology company, this is an incredible opportunity.
What you will do:
- Join an emerging, multi-cultural team of UX researchers.
- Ownership of research operations and research execution at Elastic (recruiting, scheduling, participant communication, tooling, incentives, etc.)
- Ownership of recruiting tooling and Elastic-community panel (known as UX labs)
- Assist, conduct, analyze, report on UX research with Elastic product teams.
- Program survey + usability tests (within our UX research tools)
- Work with a diverse blend of teams and leaders to deeply connect with our community, more fully understanding and then amplifying their needs to our product and leadership teams.
- Partner closely with UX designers, product managers and engineers, using design thinking and mixed research approaches to iteratively enhance Elastic products.
- Synthesize and present impactful research insights to our product team.
- Advocate UX research at Elastic.
- Conduct qualitative, quantitative, data-driven and experimental research methodologies.
What you bring along:
- Meticulous attention to detail: You are thorough and exact with your approach to organizing data, coordinating and conducting research.
- Experience: You have an established history in applied UX research, including documented experience conducting mixed methods user research. (You’ve conducted both quantitative and qualitative)
- Experience: Experience conducting foundational (personas, JTBD journey maps) and tactical research (usability testing)
- Experience: Creating research plans and conducting research studies.
- Writing is a core strength: You can distill complex research findings into succinct finding reports, using research findings to influence design decisions. (being a good researcher means being a great storyteller)
- Communication: You have a track record of reporting findings to executives.
- Product oriented: Experience driving action based on customer insights that are reflective of our business needs and strategy.
- Data-informed: You can analyze dense data-sets, analytics and telemetry. Comfort working with UX metrics and customer in-product data is a must.
- Experience: Conducting in-depth customer interviews.
- The ability to empathize and anticipate user needs.
- Teammate: You thrive working as part of a team (you’ll be partnering directly with design, product & development team members)
- Self-motivated and have the ability to work autonomously.
- Proactive and inventive spirit for performing UX research within a constantly evolving SaaS environment.
- Time in a technical role: UX design, technical writing, quality assurance, data engineering or similar.
- You've worked with Observability, Security or Search solutions before.
- Active involvement with design creation, concepting and sketching.
- You are comfortable working with data and telemetry pipelines. **Experience working with FullStory to create initial hypotheses based on telemetry and analytics is a major plus.
- Experience with data visualization and measurement platforms such as Kibana, displaying and interpreting large datasets and distilling key insights for simple understanding. You’ll have lots of data, and need to show it off.
- Familiarity with remote work and asynchronous team communication practices.
- Proven participation in open source projects or communities.
- At least one year of UX research with a degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Social Science, Psychology, Business, or a related field.
- Proven experience with both qualitative and quantitative research methods, including: usability testing, in-depth interviews, heuristic evaluations, competitor research, survey, card sorting, IA tree testing, in-depth analytical skills.
- Excellent communications skills including the ability to communicate ideas and findings visually, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to periodically travel abroad (expected travel would be 1-2 times per year).
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.