Cognito is an online education platform, designed to take secondary school students all the way from learning new material to being exam-ready.
Since launching in 2018, Cognito has helped millions of students improve their education through our YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@Cognitoedu) and revision platform (https://cognitoedu.org). We're a fully remote team of about 10 people, looking for a UI/UX designer to formalise and lead the design aspects of our company.
As the sole UI/UX Designer at Cognito, you’ll be directly involved in almost every aspect of how the platform develops over the coming years. This is a high-impact role, and will suit somebody who is driven, ambitious, and looking to work somewhere where their ideas and efforts will make a direct difference to millions of users.
The successful candidate will be someone with significant prior experience as a UI/UX designer, but who is also an exceptionally pragmatic and clear-headed problem-solver (also somewhat of a generalist). We’re looking for someone who can help us navigate the transition from startup to small company, and the right candidate will be at home moving fluidly between the scrappy, creative problem-solving associated with startups, and the more formalised approaches required when organising projects involving larger teams.
In practice, this will mean taking ownership over Cognito’s design direction and treading a line between experimentation with new ideas, and establishing a mature design system and brand identity. You will work closely with our developers, product manager, and founders, in order to uncover user needs, generate ideas, determine priorities, and craft new feature designs.
Maintain and evolve our design system and Figma prototypes to ensure consistency and usability.
- Work with the wider team to conduct user research and testing, ranging from interviews to Google Analytics, and apply this research to inform design decisions.
- Rapidly design and iterate on new features, focusing on practicality over perfection.
- Collaborate with product managers, developers, and QA testers to ensure seamless integration of design.
- Prepare Figma files and accompanying documentation for developers.
- Test new features to verify they align with your design vision.
- 4+ years of experience in UI/UX design, ideally in an agile, fast-paced environment.
- A strong portfolio demonstrating proficiency in UI/UX design.
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, and basic web development principles.
- Experience working closely with development teams and understanding technical constraints.
- Knowledge of best practises in creating accessible, inclusive, and user-focused designs
- Experience designing large-scale software products with complex user-flows.
- Fluent English speaker.
- Live in the UK, have studied GCSEs & A-levels in the UK, and be a tax-resident of the UK.
- Fast and stable internet connection.
- Comfortable working from home.
- Competitive salary, depending on relevant expertise.
- 32 days of paid holiday per year, inclusive of bank holidays.
- A flexible, remote work culture that promotes work-life balance.
- Opportunities for professional development in a dynamic startup environment.
- An informal, supportive, and collaborative team environment with minimal bureaucracy.
- Autonomy to steer the design direction and take ownership of projects.
- Any necessary equipment and software required for a remote setup.
- Opportunity to play a fundamental role in shaping the learning experience of millions of students. To date, our platform has seen over 300 million questions answered, and our video lessons have been watched more than 80 million times.
At Cognito, we prioritise making our workplace enjoyable and flexible. Communication is primarily ad-hoc through Slack and Zoom, with weekly team meetings to stay connected and aligned. We are deeply committed to enhancing our product for users while maintaining a down-to-earth and supportive work environment. Work hours are flexible, respecting the need for work-life balance. We value transparency, humility, clear communication, distributed ownership, openness to feedback, and respect for colleagues.
To help us find the right candidate, we're asking all applicants to submit a short sample task with their application. The details for this can be found at this link:
Once you've submitted the application and assessment task we'll review them, and aim to get back to you within 14 days. If we think you'll be a good fit for Cognito we'll invite you for an interview.