Senior Product Designer
Are you looking for an opportunity to build user friendly and simply designed products that reach a large audience? Do you like the challenge of creating modern, thoughtful experiences for both web and mobile platforms? Do you love to find innovative new ways to create? Is working closely with a down-to-earth, wickedly talented team to ship frequently and evolve a product your cup of tea? If so, we may just have the perfect opportunity for you.
About the Position:
As our Senior Product Designer, you will help guide our core product and join the team in championing good design and thoughtful user experience. You will play a key role in helping us create scalable, easy-to-use products that truly connect with our users. You will help to develop new ways of working to create maximum transparency and effectiveness.
You will work closely with multiple teams including Engineering and Product to iterate on customer feedback, solve new problems, and empower one another. The decisions you make will have a huge impact on our customers and provide great learning opportunities.
In addition to having a great mind for user experience it’s imperative that you have highly refined visual design skills.
About the Team:
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 11,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
As a Product Designer, you will work from our Los Angeles Headquarters.
Specifically, you will:
- Synthesize broad concepts and ideas into engaging and impactful experiences.
- Take product specs and requirements from concept to execution, transforming them into intuitive, user-friendly, UX & UI deliverables.
- Lead user testing sessions with customers and collect data with A/B tests to make more informed design decisions.
- Learn from customer usage and leverage feedback and data to continually iterate, innovate, and evolve the product.
- Work closely with Designers, Engineers and Product Managers to define product opportunities and contribute to the overall product strategy.
- Communicate your thoughts and decisions effectively to the Executive team.
- Consistently push the visual design of our products, searching for opportunities to enhance the aesthetics, and make the experience more delightful for our users.
- Develop UI design systems to allow for rapid product prototyping.
Within 30 days, you’ll:
- Complete our ChowNow onboarding (Ramp Camp) where you’ll learn the ins and outs about ChowNow and our products.
- Observe 4 product demos with the Sales team to better know our customers.
- Conduct an analysis of ChowNow’s products and the competitive landscape.
- Head out to the field to connect with our customers to gain vital insights
- Dissect requirements for a new feature and begin research and exploration for possible solutions.
Within 60 days, you’ll:
- Deliver your first set of user flows, wireframes, and high-fidelity interaction designs for a new feature.
- Prepare your first set of detailed design specs for the Engineering team.
- Define the metrics you will use to determine the success of your first design solution.
- Communicate your design decisions with stakeholders and the larger team.
Within 90 days, you’ll:
- Talk to customers and the support teams to gain empathy for customer problems, needs, and mental models.
- Conduct user testing to help inform product decisions and implement new design thinking based on customer feedback.
- Help build a streamlined user testing process.
- Help develop a robust product design development process that allows for maximum alignment.
- Ship your first feature.
You Should Apply If:
- You have a minimum of 6 years experience as a Product Designer in web and mobile environments (iOS and Android).
- You have an online portfolio featuring examples of product design work. (No PDFs or Downloads)
- You have demonstrated experience with end-to-end (hybrid UX and UI) product design.
- You’re a highly motivated individual who is self-directed and pays careful attention to detail.
- You’re an outstanding team contributor who is willing to give and receive feedback.
- You have the ability to conceptualize and communicate design ideas to stakeholders and evolve product design within the organization.
- You have experience iterating rapidly and shipping software frequently to evolve a product over time, such as with SaaS products and mobile applications.
- You use Sketch, Adobe Suite, and basic prototyping tools such as Principle and Invision.
- You have a deep understanding of how to frame a problem and work with the team to synthesize new solutions.
- You obsess over details and are excited to polish until your work is pixel-perfect.
- You have a deep understanding of composition, balance, symmetry, and white space. We love making things beautiful and hope you feel the same.
- You’re constantly looking for inspiration and staying relevant with the latest apps, design trends, and patterns.
- You support your designs with sophisticated animations to demonstrate interactions and realistic prototypes to bring new ideas to life.
- You are full of creative ideas and capable of validating them through rapid prototyping and user testing.
- You are a native visual language speaker, presenting ideas and concepts in a succinct and thoughtful manner.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.