Senior UX Designer
Jobs for the Future
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For over 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. JFFLabs, the innovation engine of JFF, mobilizes promising technologies and strategic partnerships to scale solutions that expand economic advancement for all. We bridge the gap between companies and startups, traditional education and workforce systems, and investment.
What we do:
- Corporate Leadership: Guide companies to build and scale solutions that work
- Acceleration: Identify and scale the most promising innovations
- Data Services: Change how systems use data to generate greater impact
- Investment: Scale best-in-industry startups and growth companies
- Incubation: Build and support early-stage products and services
About the position:
Fifteen million people turn to the workforce system each year for advice and information to help them navigate the complexities of life, learning, and work. The workforce system is poised to transform to create greater impact through the use of data and deeper insight into emerging education opportunities, learning outcomes, and labor market shifts.
Accomplishing this will require substantial improvements in data infrastructure and capacity: decision-makers will need timely access to data and outcomes metrics and the capacity to interpret and use them. The imperative for fulfilling this vision is well documented, but it’s time to put action behind our ideas and create products that solve real-world challenges and improve lives.
As a member of the JFFLabs team, the Senior UX Designer, Data Products will contribute to the design and development of new data products in service of this mission. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of an undertaking that will help transform the way performance and efficiency of workforce policies and programs is assessed. The role will be closely involved in shaping the strategy of how data, analytics, and insights will be used to measure outcomes and offer workforce organizations a data-driven approach to measuring progress. This role will report to the Director, Data services and assist the director in understanding the needs of the workforce community and translate that into usable data products. Learn more about our work.
What you'll do:
UX / Product Design
- Create UX design deliverables such as stories, personas, process flows, storyboards, wireframes, mockups, and functional prototypes to effectively communicate design strategies and detailed interaction behaviors of the data products
- Combine UX thinking with human-centered design execution, to produce usable and intuitive dashboards, analytics and UIs
- Determine information architecture to ensure the data products communicate a powerful story to the consumer
- Plan and conduct user research and competitor analysis
- Conduct expert reviews and usability assessments on existing and future application features of applications within and outside the organization
- Design creative solutions for known usability and user experience issues
- Design and prototype elegant solutions for web, mobile, and other channels
- Create surveys to solicit qualitative feedback from stakeholders and utilize them in product design
- Communicate product design to technology and implementation teams
Customer / Team Engagement
- Manage and facilitate product pilots working with internal team members, and external organizations from across the country
- Develop and help conduct design thinking sessions to understand end-user and customer needs to shape data product vision
- Interact with customers to help develop and validate product requirements, roadmaps, and design features of the data products
- Provide technical expertise and leverage industry trends and emerging new technologies to provide advice on innovative products and strategies
- Work with the team to guide implementation of data product design
- Guide product design around capabilities and features of the selected analytics platform
Who you are:
- You are mission-driven and have an ability to apply JFF’s core values to all areas of your work; previous experience in workforce development, adult education, or education management or similar space is highly desirable
- You bring at least 5+ years of demonstrated experience in creating and implementing UX design in product-related management positions, preferably in consumer engagement and user experience as a UI/UX Designer or similar role
- You have a candidate portfolio featuring UX (wireframes/mockups/prototypes/other UX artifacts) and visual design work
- You are fluent with user research, usability testing and interaction design methods and tools such as Sketch, InVision, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Zeplin and OmniGraffle
- You have experience with at least one business intelligence and data visualization product (Domo, Tableau, Qlik, Looker, Chartio, others)
- You have experience with coding and ability to troubleshoot using HTML, CSS and comparable languages
- You understand business metrics and have the ability to translate goals and objectives into digital experiences
- You bring prior experience with executing data product design projects with country wide stakeholders
- You have a user-centric mindset; Problem-solving and analytical skills; a solid foundation in layout and design
- You have experience developing or managing user experience architecture, design, or similar role
- You have experience working remotely with data consumers conducting design sessions and soliciting feedback through online collaboration tools
- You are able to prioritize and manage several milestones and projects efficiently with excellent attention to detail
- You contribute to positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion
- You demonstrate a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve in your work and approach
- You are available to travel at least 25% of the year to JFF offices and as required for project-based work.
Please note: JFF staff are not currently traveling due to COVID-19. Travel requirements will resume once it is safe to travel.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
Please upload a resume (with a link to your portfolio demonstrating your proficiency in interactive and visual design focusing on data related products) and a thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, addressed to Eshwar Eswaran, here.
JFF offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills.