Apply for this job
To our wonderful friends and followers around the world, Jagex is not pausing its search for the most talented people to join its ranks. We’re a successful, robust and growing business, after all.
In light of the current situation concerning coronavirus, we have already made changes to the way we recruit, and of course are mindful of following all necessary processes to ensure the safety of our staff and anyone we might come into contact with.
Jagex has switched to working almost entirely remotely, and in line with that our recruitment and selection process has moved to an entirely remote one with video calls being the preferred method of interview.
Our hiring managers are engaged, we are well-prepared and we sincerely look forward to talking to you soon. Our team of expert recruiters will be in touch with you to talk you through the process and changes and what to expect.
So, don’t delay, get that application in today!
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 360 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
A little bit about the role:
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Lead UI Artist whose looking for a varied and challenging role that encourages creative input, team work and personal development. The successful applicant will join an experienced team of artists, working on our flagship title RuneScape 3. Our product is an ever-evolving one, now extended from PC only to mobile, and as the lead UI Artist, you will be responsible for setting and maintaining UI visual direction across both platforms, establishing UI best practice, pushing for improvements to our pipeline and breathing new life into our Interfaces.
A little bit of what we are after:
Your graphic design expertise will be instrumental in the creation of clear, intuitive and beautiful UI, helping to guide our players through the various new and existing interface systems. In addition to this you’ll be a champion for your discipline and thrive in a highly collaborative environment. You should be equally comfortable being hands on as you are guiding and mentoring a team of UI artists. Supporting their development, delivering performance and craft feedback, and maintaining the expected style and quality across the game
- Provide leadership, direction and line management to the UI team
- Responsible for the delivery of highest quality in game UI art
- Collaborate with Tech Art and Code to ensure pipelines and tools are effective optimal and capable of delivery
- Collaborate with Game Design to ensure a UX that is legible, fun and intuitive
- Review assets to maintain consistent quality and provide effective feedback and critique
- Plan, schedule and structure discipline tasks that feed into AD’s master schedule
- Document and communicate technical specifications and visual benchmarks to support the games artistic vision to both internal and external artists
- Produce production guides breaking down in detail steps to reproduce assets within style
- Support, promote and build good team and studio morale in an open, creative environment
- Together with AD/ AAD contribute toward discipline hiring plans and recruitment process
- Manage outsource partners or freelancers as required
What you need to show us:
- Portfolio work of ‘hands on’ outstanding AAA UI art in Real-time application
- Understanding of both realism, stylization visual elements
- Thorough knowledge of end-to-end in UI workflow and related disciplines
- Proficiency in pre-visualization techniques
- Enough understanding of technical art to communicate and resolve UI related issues
- Comfortable with running individual, group review and critique sessions
- Able to time manage, prioritise and track both themselves and direct reports
- Ability to communicate clearly, and concisely to team, peers and management
- Willingness to transition between asset production and line management
- Able to level up junior to senior artists through teaching and mentoring
- Professional attitude and work ethic
- Excellent soft skills and teamwork
- Hands on experience with game engine (Unity, Unreal, proprietary etc)
Desirable but non-essential requirements:
- Illustration, Conceptual design,
- UX Design, Figma, XD, After Effects
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.