Senior Product Designer
We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on earth. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and it’s one that’s shared by our team who shares our values, to dream big, build fast and be brilliant.
To achieve this, we’ve brought together one of the largest teams of scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and engineers to focus on combining the ever-growing computing power of machines, with the best medical expertise of humans, to create a comprehensive, immediate and personalized health service and make it universally available.
At Babylon our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare. We’re only as good as our people. So, finding the best people is everything to us.
We serve millions, but we choose our people one at a time…
The Appointments team at Babylon creates the products that enable Babylon’s members to have timely and effective appointments with clinicians across the world.
Working within a cross-functional agile team, and partnering with stakeholders and collaborators across the business, you’ll be a proactive, adaptable designer who can solve the complex problems that emerge when building an affordable and accessible digital appointment service. Within the team, you’ll be the voice of the user, designing for patients, clinicians and other users, while ensuring that your solutions are evidence based, clinically safe, and easy to use. This can mean designing for both Babylon’s consumer-facing mobile apps and clinician-facing tools.
This is an area of high importance to the business, so you’ll be a good communicator and comfortable playing back your work to a wide range of stakeholders. You’ll be happy working in a fast-paced environment and working across multiple projects within the team. Day-to-day, you’ll team up with user researchers, product managers, and engineers in the team to develop innovative new product features and iterate on existing ones.
- Lead design of a product area; connecting that to a broader product vision (e.g, product page and purchase experience)
- Facilitate cross-discipline sessions as part of early product definition - likely pulling from a tool box of lean UX approaches, design sprint and prototyping methods.
- Partner with user research to craft and validate personas, scenarios, and jobs to be done for your area of the product
- Create user journey and service maps illustrating user needs, pain points, and business opportunities as we evolve our products to support Value Based Care
- Define processes and approaches for tackling design or research problems, using known methods
- Design product solutions which are data informed (quant & qual) using a variety of design techniques and artefacts of varying fidelities
- Ensure our products follow accessibility standards and create a standard by contributing to our design system guidelines
- Help build a strong design and learner-mindset culture by sharing your experiences with the design chapter, being an evangelist for user-centric approaches in the broader organisation, and actively participating in the design community
Key skills required
- Expertise in several core design skills. We don’t believe in the design unicorn, so we expect a specialised depth and/or breadth of expertise across the UX and product design spectrum of core skills.
- Mature people and leadership skills. Design is not only about craft and at this level we also expect you have begun to master several key people and leadership skills. These include communication and presentation skills - ability to communicate design effectively, regardless of the audience; receiving and giving constructive feedback; and leading workshops as a design facilitator.
- Experience facilitating workshops and leading meetings. Proven ability to collaborate successfully with cross-functional peers and teams (AI, Engineering, Marketing, Product) to develop concepts and products.
- Ability to clarify success metrics and tie efforts toward delivering business value
- Understands how their work fits in to the overall Babylon service, identifying blockers and problems and actively works to fix them
- A keen eye for detail, but ability to rapidly solve problems using everything from a basic sketch to high fidelity prototypes
- A passion to design a product and service that serves humanity
- Is compassionate and caring towards others. They respect the views and ideas of others;
- Works in a straight-forward, collaborative and inclusive way and is non-political;
- Is tenacious, in the pursuit to delight our users. They strive for excellence in all they do and always look to improve our service and product;
- Regularly seeks to turn ideas into action and injects creativity into every touch point. They question common practice to challenge the norm;
- Frequently has a can-do attitude and a positive viewpoint;
- Takes ownership and always delivers against what is agreed.
- Gives timely, helpful feedback to peers and managers
- Communicates assumptions and gets clarification on tasks up front to minimise the need for rework
- Capable of prioritising tasks
- Avoids getting caught up in unimportant details or dissipating energy by focussing on the wrong thing.
- The interest and energy to be a design evangelist!
Essential skills required
- Extensive experience working on a diverse range of problems, delivering great design work particularly for software tools, responsive web and native apps.
- A solid foundation of interaction design, communication design and user-centered methods likely based upon an academic degree in design or HCI.
- Experience working in cross functional Agile teams to build and iterate great products
Desirable skills required
- Experience working in Healthcare
We look forward to hearing from you!
We believe that difference inspires a better, healthier world. That’s why it’s at the heart of everything we do. From our people to our products, difference enriches every part of our business and creates a culture based on equality of opportunity, and in which all Babylonians can progress their careers. We’re committed to creating an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
At Babylon, we have Power of Diversity groups (PODs) to drive positive engagements that create and foster a diverse and inclusive environment and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse pool of candidates.
Our mission is to put an accessible and affordable health service in the hands of every person on earth. Diversity and inclusion play a key role in helping us bring this mission to life and create a true sense of belonging for all.