Urban Intelligence is looking for a User Interface and Experience (UI/UX) designer to help us to improve and build on an advanced MVP that is currently being used by high profile clients in the property sector and government. This role is open to both freelancers and those seeking to join our team on a longer contract.
You will work closely with the company's highly-talented and close-knit team, be at the forefront of an industry-wide digital revolution, and use your creative skills to help solve the Housing Crisis. We are searching for someone who has a gift to take technical and complex processes and to communicate these in simple, yet stunning and human-friendly visuals.
Who are we?
We are a growing, young and energetic (award-winning) team with expertise in real estate and geospatial analysis. We have our main office at Tramshed Tech in Cardiff and a base in London at Geovation. Our business (founded in 2014) has built a strong reputation in our industry, attracting clients including HM Government and Transport for London. As a profitable business, we have learned a lot over the years in establishing ourselves in the marketplace. We have a clear understanding of our clients' needs, our business priorities and the processes that we need to build to help us to continue to be successful. We have a clear idea for our next stage of growth, and we are looking for the right creative to help us move onto the next step of our journey.
We are building a data-driven land analysis and scoring platform for property development (perhaps you could help us explain this better? 😉). Aggregating and analysing planning and other built environment data to arrive at the most sustainable locations for development. We also have a focus over the next year of automating a lot of our existing systems and turning these into scalable products/services.
We have received investment and support from the Development Bank of Wales, UCL, Virgin Startup, Pi Labs (Europe's first property technology VC fund), Ordnance Survey (the UK's mapping agency) and a group of outstanding business angels with a range of planning and property experience. You'll find us featured in The Guardian, Estates Gazette, The Times, Tech City News, The Planner, among others. We are regularly invited to speak at conferences and events involving tech and planning, smart cities, etc., as we are recognised to be at the forefront of the #PlanTech / 'Future of Planning' movement for our work. Lastly, we are a friendly bunch that cares deeply about cities, society, economics and the environment.
Who are you?
You are a client-focused designer with 2+ years of commercial experience of UI/UX design (preferably with experience of B2B / Enterprise facing products). You should have experience turning great ideas into stories and products that can be quickly developed by technical colleagues. We would also love to see examples of where you have helped organisations to better communicate their mission, problems and solutions.
More specifically, it is essential that you have a solid grasp of:
- Working independently with business, technical and customer stakeholders to gather evidence and design solutions to solve identified problems.
- Ensuring that established best practice and design standards are consistently and appropriately applied within your work.
- Developing and presenting documentation, user flows, annotated wireframes, and interactive prototypes.
- Leveraging user testing make continuous product improvements.
- Outstanding communication skills that deliver effectively to both tech and non-tech team members.
- Expertise in using visual design and wireframing tools.
It would be nice if you had:
- Outstanding organisational skills.
- Experience working with SaaS / data-driven products and businesses.
- Experience using mapping or location data and information.
- Experience of communicating technical information in a simple format.
- Experience working in an agile environment.
- Experience in creating and using creative materials in a variety of multimedia outputs.
- Experience using UK Government Digital Service (GDS) standards of design.
- A degree-level qualification in human-computer interaction (HCI), design or a related subject.
We can offer:
You will play a key role in our growing team and design and develop our core technology. You will come to work every day driven by the mission to clear up the UK's opaque and messy planning system and ensure that developments go to the most (economically, socially and environmentally) sustainable locations in these rapidly urbanising times. You will take full advantage of the chance to build a first-of-its-kind solution to disrupt a massive, important industry that is only just waking up to the digital revolution. If you have a passion for problem-solving, you will never run out of interesting challenges here at Urban Intelligence!
In addition, we offer the following:
- Competitive compensation package and equity* (commensurate with experience)
- Work remotely (If desired, we'll provide you with an allowance to work at a co-working space near you - post-COVID of course)
- Company pension
- Close-knit, friendly team culture (with plenty of social opportunities)
- Initial 15-minute Skype/phone conversation with our Founder
- Meet the rest of the team
- Get started!
We look forward to seeing your application!
*Equity subject to minimum length of 2 years employment.