Motional is looking for a Contract Product Designer to help us deliver a user experience that is intuitive, comfortable, user-centered, and that will develop trust for this state-of-the-art technology. You’ll be on a small, fast-paced agile team, collaborating with other Product Designers, Engineers, Product Managers, and User Researchers.
You’ll be tasked with initially leading design on our Remote Vehicle Assistance product. This includes activities such as user flows, wireframes, prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity UI design.
This is a contract role with a 3 month commitment, with the opportunity to extend to 6 months at the company’s discretion.
Please submit your resume, and an online or PDF portfolio with at least 2 projects that best represent your capabilities, skills and interests.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead design deliverables for a remote vehicle control platform.
- Create UX deliverables including user flows, wireframes, prototypes, etc.
- Deliver polished, pixel-perfect UI Design artifacts
- Plan and lead large complex design initiatives
- Work with engineers to implement designs you create, ensuring quality
- Identify and problem solve when issues with progress arise, shifting timelines and approach to meet new demands as needed
- Lead with a team-focused mindset to problem solving - pull in others such as researchers and engineers into collaborative ideation and discussions
- Work with user researchers to drive understanding of key user needs, problems, desires, and personas
- Define how people interact with the future of autonomous vehicles!
What we're looking for:
- You are passionate about solving hard problems in nascent industries
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Graphic Design, UX Design, Interactive Media, or similar
- Ability to lead major design initiatives with little guidance
- 5+ years of hands on experience in an in-house design team or consulting/design agency
- Experience with planning large workstreams, meeting measurable goals and deadlines
- Strong experience in all stages of the design process, from early strategy and ideation, wireframes and prototypes, to the final implementation of UI design.
- Strong cross-platform design experience, particularly in SAAS-type products
- Experience working within a cross functional product team alongside product managers, ux researchers, engineers etc. in a fast-paced agile environment (i.e. software company, startup, etc.)
- Experience presenting and justifying design decisions to different levels within an organization
- Experience taking feedback from users, and iterating on design
- Solid grasp of user interaction principles
- The ability to be flexible and inventive, using non-traditional approaches and techniques to design, given our product space
- Experience with industry standard design tools, such as Figma, Sketch, Zeplin, and the Adobe Creative Suite.
Bonus points (not required):
- Extensive knowledge of accessibility
- Animation experience (beyond basic UI animation)
- Experience with any sort of programming (i.e. JS/CSS)
- Experience working on highly technical product spaces, such as autonomous vehicles or robotics