Senior UX Researcher
At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’ve recently joined forces with Twilio, the world’s leading cloud communication platform that enables businesses to engage customers across all channels, from text to Whatsapp to email. This means we can deliver even more value to our customers as we design the customer engagement platform of the future.
Who We Are:
The mission of research at Segment is to discover game-changing insights, identify top customer problems, and build customer empathy across the company. As a UX Researcher, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional team members across design, product, marketing, and engineering to scope and execute strategic research initiatives. Your insights will influence product roadmap and help bring the customer to the center of key decision-making. You will also work to help build research capabilities via coaching and trainings, up-leveling customer-obsession muscles across the organization.
Who we’re looking for:
- You are customer obsessed. You hold the customer at the center of every decision made, and are a constant advocate for customer insights and customer empathy.
- You are curious. You’re always asking “why”, and you have multiple research methods in your toolkit to help you get to the answer.
- You are insightful. You can capture and present findings in compelling ways, and can help turn those insights into action.
- You are nimble. You can improvise on a tight timeline, get creative with your methods based o needs and constraints, and strike a balance between speed and rigor.
- You are collaborative. You are comfortable coaching and facilitating teams, and you’re transparent and communicative with cross-functional teammates and stakeholders.
- You are hungry. You can take initiative to scope and create project plans, recruit and schedule participants
Where you’ll have impact:
- Deeply understand our customers. Conduct research to identify foundational insights about our key customer segments and create customer profiles or personas. Conduct usability audits and analyze customer behaviors to identify gaps and opportunity areas in key product experiences.
- Discover strategic opportunities. Identify unsolved pain-points in current user workflows and help design better solutions. Explore uncharted opportunity areas and brainstorm features to solve unmet needs.
- Iterate and refine product market fit. Structure rapid prototyping or concept testing to learn quickly from customers. Test content with customers to refine messaging and value propositions.
- 3+ years experience in user research or design strategy for a software product
- Deep understanding of different research methods across qual and quant (including ethnographic interviews, user observation, surveys, in-product experimentation, diary studies, concept testing, rapid prototyping, etc.)
- A strong design-thinking mindset and familiarity with the product development process
- Proven experience leading cross-functional teams through complex research projects
- A portfolio that demonstrates insightful output and business impact
- Strong storytelling and influence skills
- Experience working in B2B SaaS or with Enterprise customers
- Experience researching technical use cases
- Hard design skills (especially in communication design or prototyping)
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment. Recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers, and promotions will happen based on qualifications for the positions being filled regardless of sex, gender identity, race, religious creed, color, national origin ancestry, age, physical disability, pregnancy, mental disability, or medical condition.