The Zebra has been named a Best Place to Work in Austin for four years running. We're a big-thinking, user-focused, and purpose-driven company that's changing the way consumers buy insurance. The product design team's vision is to make buying insurance enjoyable and simple through exceptional design. We’re looking for a UX Writer to help create language guidelines, define best practices, and write simple and concise product copy to enhance our user experience. UX Writers work cross-functionally with product management, research, and engineering to ensure their team creates a holistic experience for our consumers.
This role reports directly to the Director of Product Design, in our Austin headquarters.
Please note—all new hires must be able to relocate to Austin, Texas by the time of their start date.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Work with cross-functional teams to deliver a consistent voice and translate brand guidelines, personality, and tone into product experience.
- Be accountable for high-quality UX writing practices. Use empathy, logic, and data to drive content choices. Empower people to use the product by making the language friendly and inviting.
- Ideate, write, manage, and govern content within your products/business area
- Be autonomous. You’ll take ownership of your work and responsibility for every last detail
- Maintain consistency and storytelling throughout the user's journey within the product
- Be a thoughtful cross-functional partner. Ask the right questions throughout a project’s lifecycle and look for opportunities to improve working relationships and processes
- Foster a transparent and collaborative working environment, communicating critical information clearly and effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team with product designers, UX researchers, product managers, developers, data scientists, analysts, and other writers.
- Develop a deep understanding of the insurance industry including internal and external forces that will continually shape our business
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 3+ years of experience planning, writing, and editing for web and mobile consumer products
- Strong UX writing skills portfolio showing experience creating scalable content and writing guidelines and style guides
- Proficient at distilling complex information to create messaging with an approachable, conversational voice
- People-focused design mentality. You possess a strong understanding of usability and user experience principles
- Ability to balance near-term priorities with long-term strategic goals
- Capable of writing from scratch, edit existing copy, and thinking beyond the written word with input from multiple team members
- Understanding of quantitative and qualitative analysis. You use data to make educated design decisions, have worked with product managers and developers to A/B test your work, and have worked with UX research to validate user needs
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience working at a national brand and high-growth startups
- Familiarity writing for insurance or financial products
- Technical writing experience
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**