U.Group is an advanced technology and creative design company radically focused on using customer-centric innovation to create new opportunities in the public and private sectors. Working collaboratively out of offices in Arlington, VA, Washington, DC, Portland, OR, and in the heart of the action at client sites—U.Group delivers best-in-class digital services, powerful data platforms, augmented reality solutions, integrated marketing strategies, bundled services, and more. To learn more, visit www.U.Group.
As a UI Designer at U.Group, you are a core component of website and product design teams. You are creative, resourceful, and driven. You know how to create a brand, and what it takes to translate that brand to a digital experience. You formulate deep, empathetic connections to client motivations and objectives, and know intuitively how to translate that understanding into the inspiration that drives the creative direction. You are a fantastic listener and collaborator and are adept at synthesizing research, strategy, and technical specifications into pixel-perfect, human-centered designs that inspire clients, and help them achieve their goals.
Objective 1: Work openly and collaboratively with your project teams
- Participate in project planning, brainstorm and working sessions with your project teams and clients, contributing to a collaborative atmosphere with an open exchange of ideas
- Draw from your UX and graphic design expertise to drive the creative direction, synthesizing your ideas with quantitative and qualitative insights from your team members into award-worthy design directions
- Embrace feedback from more senior designers working in tandem with you on engagements to raise the caliber of your work
- Share your work early and often, being open to feedback and inspiration from your content strategy, UX and development peers, while providing constructive feedback on their work in turn
- Champion accessible and inclusive visual design practices on all your project engagements, not just when it’s contracted
Objective 2: Create and deliver best-in-class designs for commercial and government clients
- Create compelling design concepts and deliverables, from quick and iterative wireframes to pixel-perfect, build-ready comps and prototypes, complete with interaction states
- Innovate within technical constraints, partnering with product owners, engineers, and technical architects to create inventive, yet practical technical solutions
- Demonstrate a refined design sensibility in your work, with strong typography, composition, and illustration skills
- Present your ideas to clients with poise, defending your decisions with clear rationale while accepting criticism with grace
- Own your designs from concept to completion, maintaining a sense of accountability along with your strategy and development peers for the quality of your team’s execution
Objective 3: Contribute to the continued success of the UI design practice area at U.Group.
- Contribute to internal initiatives to mature U.Group design standards and practices
- Expand U.Group’s thought leadership by sharing your insight and design expertise on U.Group’s blog, or at industry events and trainings
- Guide and be guided; mentor those under your supervision to help them flourish in their roles, while embracing the guidance of senior team members to refine your craft
- Be an awesome teammate; step in to pick someone up who needs support, or would benefit from your perspective
- Portfolio of high-caliber, client-facing creative work that you can call your own
- Experience working within a creative agency
- Proficiency designing and prototyping with Sketch, InVision, Figma and Adobe CS
- College degree or equivalent experience in Graphic Design, Industrial/Product Design, Architecture, or Fine Arts
- Bonus points if you have a background in website development (frontend or backend or both), animation, and/or video production
Life at U.Group
We encourage our colleagues to lead balanced lives. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flexible spending, 20 days paid time off, and paid holidays. We also offer:
Flex Time and Remote Work Options
Education reimbursement program
Transit/parking subsidy program
Parental Leave Policy
Professional Development Program
401(k) with Company Match
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, we will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
U.Group shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of protected veteran status or disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.