User Experience Designer
We have made it a priority to meet with, and hire from, a diverse pool of candidates - as we believe that a range of lived experiences, voices, and perspectives directly contributes to the success of our team.
About the Opportunity
B Lab is seeking a User Experience Designer to help continue the advancement of our global product offerings. We are particularly looking for a candidate who can transform insights from user research into elegant web application designs. Our suite of product offerings include the B Impact Assessment, the SDG Action Manager, B Analytics and the B Hive, a community engagement platform.
The B Impact Assessment, used by over 70,000 businesses worldwide, including over 4,000 Certified B Corporations, helps companies assess their impact on various stakeholders-- including their workers, community, customers, and the environment. Most recently, B Lab has added the SDG Action Manager to our platform. The SDG Action Manager brings together B Lab's B Impact Assessment and the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact to enable meaningful business action through dynamic self-assessment, benchmarking, and improvement.
The User Experience Designer will join a team with one other designer and report to the Lead Product Manager, Kendal Wilkins.
Core Job Functions
Functional responsibilities and tasks for the User Experience Designer include:
- Application Design
- Become an expert in B Lab’s product offerings
- Solve design challenges every day
- Take part in project scoping and sprint planning
- Create initial comps & prototypes, then work with all stakeholders to iterate to a final deliverable
- Establish and maintain detailed user-interface patterns and specifications—working closely with developers to see your design through to deployment
- Provide engineering team with designs that account for all possible application scenarios, including error states
- Create optimized assets into B Lab’s Design System
- Solve CSS challenges to deliver a fully responsive user interface
- Conduct user interviews, draft surveys, set up task based user tests, and gather market analysis to inform your designs
- Interpret collected analytics to identify user trends and potential problem areas
- Create/maintain user personas across B Lab’s product offerings
- Assist the Customer Satisfaction team by providing updated documentation and images for our customer-facing knowledge base as features are released/updated/deprecated
- Work with Customer Satisfaction team to interpret stakeholder tickets and feedback into product designs
- Marketing Design
- Design assets and views to promote B Lab’s products
- Create email templates to support product communications (in-app and marketing)
- Design focused ad landing pages
- Conduct A/B testing, track conversion rates, make improvements when necessary
We encourage you to apply if you have:
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in User Experience Design focused on web based applications or Human-Computer Interaction
- Versed in HTML, CSS and presentation layer technologies
- Lead user research initiatives, validate concepts with end-users and stakeholders
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience with Adobe XD, or similar prototyping tools
- The ability to write detailed user stories
While not required, please note in your application if you have/are:
- experience working with design systems
- experience with designing products for global markets
- Google Analytics/Tag Manager experience
- knowledge of Kanban and Agile frameworks
- coursework or educational experiences in design
- fluent (written and spoken) in Spanish or Portuguese
The ideal candidate will also:
- Have passion for using business to solve social and environmental problems
- Consider themselves a relentless problem solver, with a collaborative style and a systems-thinking approach and are constantly looking to refine your designs through feedback
- Have a sense of humor, a positive outlook, and an easy-going manner when working with others
- Have a strong desire to learn, improve, and apply
- Know when to ask for help
- Understand what it means to be a team player
B Lab has a competitive compensation plan that includes:
- An annual salary in the range of $75,000 - $80,000
- Excellent health benefits package including access to medical, vision and dental coverage
- Paid time off for vacation - in your first year, you’ll start with 3 weeks (prorated in the calendar year)
- Unlimited sick and personal time - if you need it, use it
- Access to retirement plan [403(b) with match up to 3%]
- A student loan assistance program
- After your first year of employment, paid time off for community service; paid parental leave; and a professional development budget
- A warm, inviting and inclusive company culture
We require the following in order to consider your application:
- Resume and responses to our accompanying application questions. Cover letter is not required but preferred to showcase your writing and why you are applying for the role.
- Please attach an original published work that you've either created or contributed to. We are looking for an article, blog post, email campaign or other short (2 pages or less) written piece.
If you progress through additional stages in the hiring process you can expect to:
- Complete an introductory one-way video interview via Spark Hire
- Complete a brief take home test (also known as a hiring exercise)
- Participate in up to 2 live video interviews
We will begin reviewing applications on July 12 and will continue until we identify a diverse and qualified candidate pool.
Please note: All applications will be reviewed by our team, and all candidates will receive a status update via email after their application has been reviewed, which we expect to complete by July 22. Due to capacity constraints on our hiring team, we are unable to provide you with a specific status update beyond these parameters.
If we can offer reasonable accommodations to you in the application or interview processes, or if you have feedback on how we could improve the equity or accessibility of our recruitment, you are welcome to contact us at careers @ bcorporation.net with the subject line “Accommodation request - User Experience Designer”. Please note that we are unable to respond to general status inquiries or other messages that are unrelated to accessing our application or interview processes.
About B Lab
B Lab is transforming the global economy to benefit all people, communities, and the planet. A leader in economic systems change, our global network creates standards, policies, and tools for business, and we certify companies—known as B Corps—who are leading the way. To date, our community includes over 4,000 B Corps in over 70 countries and 150 industries, over 8,000 benefit corporations, and 100,000 companies managing their impact with the B Impact Assessment and the SDG Action Manager.
B Lab believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re not looking for candidates who are “culture fits.” We’re looking for candidates who can expand our perspective and challenge business as usual. We strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition.
As an organization, we stand against anti-Black racism and all forms of oppression including transphobia, classism, sexism, and xenophobia. We commit to a focused and sustained action to dismantle racist systems, policies, practices, and ideologies within ourselves and our networks. As we continue to learn about injustice, we embrace radical reorientation of our consciousness and will listen to the voices of Black, Brown, Indigenous and marginalized peoples to catalyze equitable outcomes for all.
At B Lab an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace is one where all workers, whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education or disability, feel valued and respected. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all of our teams, programs. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all voices are valued and heard.