Who we are:
Bixal is a mission-driven, woman-owned small business determined to improve people's lives through human-centered strategies and transformative technologies, with a firm belief that everyone has the right to an effective government.
We deliver on this belief by partnering with leading Federal agencies to design, develop, and deliver powerful customer experiences through holistic digital product solutions and strategic communications initiatives––bringing a high standard and unique creative energy to our clients––and our wonderfully diverse culture is what makes it all possible.
Bixal unites different people with different perspectives from all over the world! We provide our team with an open and empowered environment where collaboration thrives and solutions flourish.
This role is remote. Bixal does not provide visa sponsorship at this time.
What will you do?
We’re looking for a mid-level UI Designer to expand the capability of a cross-functional design team for a federal client. The UI Designer manages and produces digital design work.
You have experience generating concepts, communicating those concepts visually and interactively, and working with Engineers and Product Managers to build and test these concepts. You are responsible for promoting human-centered design through visual and interaction design, as well as brand development, to create products that delight agency partners and the public. Work in a cross-functional team environment, including chat and video conferencing collaboration.
The right candidate has a broad understanding of UI Development best practices and strong Front-End Developer skills.
- Attend and participate in agile ceremonies and team-wide meetings
- Regularly demo work and present to team and stakeholders
- Interpret evidence-based research and incorporate this into your work
- Facilitate and guide teams through UX explorations in studios/workshops
- Collaborate with Product Owners, Scrum Masters, UX Writers and Engineers to receive feedback early (and often!) on visual design work
- Review front-end improvements throughout the development process and support and provide feedback to Engineers
- Advocate for product improvements to Product Owners based on research findings
- Create prompts, prototypes, and exercises that encourage conversation
- Work integrally with developers to shepherd designs through the development process
- Ensure consistency of brand and creative across digital customer touch points
- Ensure aesthetics are aligned with usability, accessibility, and web standards
- Ensure an accessibility-first approach: meet all Federal regulatory guidance, including 508 and current web content accessibility guidelines (WCAG).
- Work with Design Leadership and Project Management to identify scope and timelines for assigned projects as necessary
- Provide design support to other business lines to create product graphics, logos, identity design, or other similar offline graphics
- Provide training and support to junior designers
- Perform other duties as required
Understand the team’s goals and help the team plan for future sprints:
- Collaborate on writing JIRA tickets through various team ceremonies
- Influence prioritization of the product
- Identify goals and the capacity to meet those goals
Carry out a wide variety of research, design, and prototyping tasks, including:
- Understand product goals and user needs
- Conduct concept and usability testing and gather feedback
- Create personas based on user research and collected data
- Define an interaction model and evaluate its success
- Develop wireframes and prototypes around customer needs
- Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders
- Identify and troubleshoot usability issues
- Create mockups and prototypes
- Share progress and interact with the team using a version control system
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4+ years of experience
- Ability to undergo and pass a Public Trust security clearance
- Knowledge of Figma
- A strong portfolio of design work, showing solutions to business problems through effective design
- Ability to lead and direct design thinking for a wide range of products
- Ability to perform under minimal supervision
- Effective presentation skills and experience presenting to senior-level management and stakeholders
- Knowledge of Design Systems, preferably USWDS
- Technical understanding of HTML and CSS
Nice to Haves:
Perks & Benefits:
Competitive base salary
Work from home flexibility
401K with matching incentive
Flex Spending Account
Company provided short-term disability
Company provided life insurance
Professional development opportunities
New business referral bonus
No recruiters or agencies please. Bixal is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a safe, inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds.