Junior UX/UI Designer
What is Airbyte all about?
Airbyte was founded in 2013 as a mobile product studio, it was then relaunched under a new direction in 2020. Mobile design & development remains at the business’s core, however, in 2021 Airbyte has a broadened startup-focused offering of Research, Design, Development and Marketing.
James (CEO) and Luke (CPO) co-founded the relaunch in 2020 with a wealth of experience in growth and project delivery and have grown Airbyte exponentially over the past 2 years, and are now looking for a full-time junior designer to join the team.
As we are a digital product studio, we bring on multiple clients per year, so you have the option to work on a wide variety of projects! As we are a young company, we are keeping our budgets lean for hiring, however, if you show us your value then you will grow with us as one of the first hires we make in the product team.
Are you the right person for this job?
We are looking to hire our first Junior UX/UI designer to join our fast growing team. This person will be responsible for assisting the Head of Product to deliver on client projects and to help design our internal products!
This will include taking projects from ideation, through research, wireframing, prototyping, and all the way through to handing off designs to developers. Airbyte is a user-centered company so you will also be expected to conduct user interviews, user testing, and much more.
This will be a great opportunity for any designer to grow their skills, work on amazing projects, and see their work impact a wide variety of startups as well as influencing our internal products.
What would you be doing?
- Designing beautiful interfaces that encapsulate the vision of various startups.
- Creating intuitive wireframes that help everyone to understand the website or app that you are working on.
- Conduct user interviews and testing sessions as well as helping to plan them.
- Identifying design challenges and figuring out innovative solutions.
- Asking questions, and offering insight to the wider team.
- Work alongside the product team to explain your ideas and solutions.
What things are we looking for?
- One or more years of UX/UI/Product design experience.
- You are experienced with software, such as; Adobe XD, Figma, Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop. HTML and CSS understanding is a nice bonus but not essential.
- An understanding of user-centered design. This includes user research & testing, prototyping, user journey mapping, etc.
- A passion for great design and innovation.
- While a related University Degree is great, we would be happy to consider any design certification (for example, General Assembly).
- You are happy to work with clients and other stakeholders, and to communicate your design strategy effectively.
- You are open to receiving constructive feedback.
- Right to work in the UK.
- We are an extremely flexible company - as long as the work gets done to a high standard, we are happy for you to work flexible hours (Start 7am-10am, finish 4pm-7pm).
- Unlimited holiday (as long as you effectively schedule your projects)
- Huge opportunity for growth, both in seniority and compensation. As the company grows, so do you.
- Fully remote company 10-3pm core hours
The Interview Process
We don’t use algorithm puzzles in the hiring process! After a phone interview, you’ll get a short take-home design challenge, directly related to the work we do everyday. After that you’ll have a final interview with the CEO and Head of Product.
For the first stage, you’ll speak to James (CEO) and this will be an informal chat about your ambitions and best working environment.
The second stage will be with Luke (CPO & Hiring Manager), this will be a more design-related conversation around your experience and expertise.
The final conversation will be to present your design task to Luke, James, and Chris (Development Lead).