BuffaloGrid is on a mission to bring mobile power and internet to the next billion. We have developed a solar-powered, internet-connected system that helps organisations deliver mobile phone charging and connectivity services at scale. We’re a diverse group of designers, developers, strategists and operations specialists based across offices in London and Delhi.
BuffaloGrid is backed by the UK Government, Microsoft and some of Europe’s leading venture funds including Local Globe, ADV, Hardware Club and Seedcamp. We’re searching for people who share our vision for using technology to make the world more socially and economically equal.
We unite around our values. Read more about our values here and why they matter.
- We serve our users as they are, not as we think they should be
- Build useful things
- Clarity in design, communication and intent
- Move fast, don’t break things
- We are antidisciplinary
- Business gets things done
- Choice matters and should be available to everyone
- Life is better with the internet
We’re looking for an excellent, user-obsessed digital designer to join the antidisciplinary, mission-driven team in our London office. This is a great opportunity to be the first digital designer in our business, allowing you broad scope and deep ownership of the digital elements of our product.
- Key Responsibilities (What You Will Be Doing)
- Execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to engineering across our Cloud web, App and Hub touchscreen UIs.
- Design an efficient, simple and text-light Hub touchscreen UI with attractive interaction points for our users who speak a wide range of languages and some of whom have low literacy levels.
- Design enterprise BI analytics for our customers, and growth-led motivational screens for our agents.
- Work with the Product Manager to test your designs with our users, agents and customers, extracting insights and adapting the user interface and experience in response.
- Prototype early and often, working from rough interactions and interfaces to provide form to ideas.
- Create artwork, iconography and interface elements for our Hub, Cloud, App, website and work with our new, incoming brand assets.
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards
Work as part of a antidisciplinary team involving Product Management, Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Manufacturing and Field Operations.
Core Skills (What We Want to See)
- Demonstrable UI design skills, including UI animations and transitions.
- Our users are mobile-first, and so are you. We’re looking for skills in app design (preferably Android) and mobile web.
- Proficiency in design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch and Flinto, though we’re flexible as to which tools you prefer to use.
- It’s highly desirable to have some experience in prototyping with appropriate skills in HTML/CSS.
- Ability to work within an agile or lean development process.
- Familiarity with current mobile and web app development frameworks such as React & React Native.
- Ability to present your designs and sell your solutions to various stakeholders.
Knowledge & Experience
- Prior experience designing digital products and services on web and mobile, with agency-side experience being a bonus. Your responsibilities will focus primarily on visual UI but some interaction design experience would be desirable.
- Proven experience bringing digital designs from idea to implementation, with evidence of an ability to work as the sole digital designer within a multidisciplinary team.
- You are comfortable working in a fast-moving startup at the intersection of hardware and software, alongside, technologists, strategists and product managers, operating with flexibility and adaptability under pressure.
- You should be motivated by our mission to use technology and a for-profit business model to deliver a significant impact on people’s lives at scale. This is core to our culture.
- Willingness to travel to North India, meet and work with our customers, users and agents in person on the ground.
- Competitive salary: £40,000 – £45,000
- Equity in the company through our employee share scheme
- 25 days of annual leave + national holidays
- Access to a personal development budget for training courses, books or industry events
- Your choice of laptop – Windows or Mac
- Access to reduced price bicycles through the UK government Cycle to Work scheme
- Contribution to a gym membership or similar fitness-related subscription