Posted 6 months ago
Apply for this job
Blackbird Interactive is a creative-fueled, future-driven, independent game studio where the best talent in the industry can find long-term careers to help grow their abilities while working on a wide range of projects, which encompass world-class IPs as well as our own creations across multiple genres.
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week as well as supporting in-studio, remote, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
- Work closely with and understand the needs of various stakeholders to create UI and UX solutions on a variety of different features.
- Create and iterate on UI mock-ups for different menus and in-game systems while maintaining a consistent art style and adhering to established guidelines.
- Proactively find ways to improve the game’s user experience, both in-game and in the front end.
- Advocate for improving the accessibility, usability, and inclusiveness of all UI systems.
- Strong knowledge of mock-up/prototyping software (ex: Figma, Miro, Adobe XD, etc.).
- Able to deliver creative solutions within constraints of the project’s scope and toolset.
- Provide team-facing documentation to inform and guide the work of other disciplines.
- Review and incorporate feedback on your work from leadership and other designers.
- 4+ years of professional experience in UI/UX design.
- Strong understanding of console UI/UX and usability principles.
- At least two shipped AAA products (PC, Console, or Mobile).
- Proven capability to work on multidisciplinary project teams, able to handle changing priorities throughout a product life cycle.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Experience creating UX designs, screenflow, motion graphics, UI art, style guides, and supporting concepts.
- Have a good understanding of PC and Console control paradigms.
- A degree in design, human-computer interaction, cognitive science, human factors, or related fields.
- Experience designing player onboarding and tutorialization features.
- Experience creating and/or conducting user research activities.
- Experience playing a variety of strategy and action-adventure games.
- Experience with multiple areas of design (systems design, level design, UI/UX,.)
- Understanding of games as a service and the UX design of online portals.
- Traditional 2D sketching and composition skills
Vacation & Extras
+ 4-day, 32-hour work week for all full-time staff
+ Mentorship program
+ Skunkworks internal game jam program
+ 4 weeks paid vacation per year
+ 11 paid stat holidays
+ 3 paid days per year for professional development
+ December holiday studio closure (extra paid time off!)
+ Comprehensive health/dental benefits from day 1
+ Life insurance
+ $300 Healthcare Spending Account per annum
+ RRSP matching up to $1500
+ Profit-sharing bonus program
If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Any questions about the role and/or accessibility requests can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately, we cannot reply to everyone. Only successful applicants will be contacted about the next steps. Thank you for your understanding.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of historically marginalized communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on gender, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Blackbird Interactive is privileged to be developing our projects on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the x?m??k??y??m (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and s?l?ílw?ta?? /Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.