Lead Product Designer
Up Learn has built the world’s most effective learning experience. We’ve done this by combining cognitive science, instructional theory and artificial intelligence
Up Learn’s mission is to create the most effective learning experiences in the world, and distribute access to as many students as possible
Up Learn started with A Levels and developed courses that are:
- Effective: 97% of students that complete Up Learn courses achieve an A*/A, starting from grades as low as Ds and Es
- Engaging: 1.6 million hours of learning thanks to Up Learn, and rising
- Scaling: tens of thousands of students use Up Learn today, either independently, or through one of our 300 schools, university or charity partners
Up Learn has been growing fast, and is backed by investors that share their vision, including leading venture capital firm Forward Partners and the Branson family (Virgin). Social impact is critical to Up Learn’s mission - for every student that pays, Up Learn gives a full scholarship to a student who can’t. We are growing our incredible, 50+ strong team.
We are looking for a Lead Product Designer who understands that product design is an art that requires expertise in psychology and empathy. The Lead Product Designer will work directly with the Chief Education & Product Officer and will be responsible for transforming the learning experience of students in the UK and across the world.
In this role, you will use your skills to make learning feel effortless. You will design end-to-end solutions for mobile and web that are intuitive and easy to use. You will create pixel-perfect UI designs that students will be proud to show off. You will conduct user research to find out what students like and don't like about Up Learn, and inform the product roadmap accordingly. You will also build a pattern library and atomic design system that will help the company launch new products and reach more students faster.
In your first 12 months, we envision a full reimagining of the ideal product experience from the ground up, ensuring that students spend less effort on navigating Up Learn and maximum effort on learning. You will also work with a team of passionate individuals, including Learning Executives, Data Scientists, Animators, Product Managers, and Engineers.
- You have deep design experience and are comfortable working in a startup environment, balancing multiple projects and competing demands
- You should also be experienced in planning and executing user research, including usability testing
- You have experience in building a Product Design function, establishing processes and best practice
- You have a strong focus on UX and are able to create low-fidelity wireframes as well as highly polished designs
- Excellent communication skills and self-awareness are a must
- You thrive in a culture of personal and professional development and feedback
- Above all, you care about Up Learn's mission of solving education and improving students' lives
What we offer
Up Learn offers generous remuneration, equity share options, and a fun, friendly, high-calibre team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant.
You will have the chance to define the future of education and make a meaningful contribution to the lives of thousands of students.
- Salary: £80,000 - £100,000
- A fun, friendly, high-calibre team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The chance to define the future of education and make a meaningful contribution to the lives of thousands of students
- Influence, trust and impact inside a well-funded VC-backed startup that's scaling
- Hybrid working environment with two days in the office per week (one team day and one company day) and the rest is up to you!
- A spacious and bright private office in Old Street, with delicious coffee, a selection of teas and unlimited snacks and drinks
- Regular team outings like go-karting and skiing, flexible working hours, and the ability to work remotely
- A range of additional benefits such as employer-matched pension, level 6 (highest level) dental insurance
- We offer 26 days of bookable paid holiday, plus UK bank holidays, plus unlimited ‘extra days’ - that’s a minimum of 34 days per year!
At Up Learn, we welcome everyone and are committed to building inclusive teams. We celebrate differences and encourage everyone to join us and be themselves at work. We always follow the guidelines of the Equality Act in all aspects of recruitment, selection, employment, training, development and promotion opportunities at Up Learn.
If this sounds like it’s for you, we can’t wait to hear from you!
Inviting someone to join our core team is a big deal for us and we put a lot of time and effort into the process. If we figure out we’re not perfect for each other at any stage we’ll make sure we provide you with detailed and constructive feedback.
- Send us your CV, and design portfolio, and tell us in 150 words or less why you’d be great for this role.
- We’ll invite you for a 30-minute phone or video call to learn more about you, your goals, and your experience. You’ll also be able to ask questions about Up Learn and the role.
- We’ll then give you an exercise that’s relevant to the role, which we’ll run through a more detailed interview in person or over video call to hear more about you and your experience.
If everyone’s happy, most importantly you, we’ll make you an offer to join our team.