At Silverbird, we're on a mission to revolutionise international trade for small-to-medium sized businesses in developing countries.
Currently, 8 out of 10 of these businesses face rejection by banks when they attempt to trade internationally. Those that do gain access to accounts often struggle with compliance hurdles, unexplained account closures, and poor customer experiences. We're here to change that. Our goal is to make international businesses bankable again, enabling freedom of trade and facilitating the growth of merchants.
Today, we’re a multicultural team of 120+ distributed across the UK, Lithuania and Moldova. We're starting to establish our design capability, talent, tools and infrastructure to support our growth into a global category leader in international trade - all driven by a killer user experience.
And this is where you come in.
We need someone with the vision to lead design for our core payments and FX platform. You’ll have an unparalleled opportunity to shape the design direction of a high-growth FinTech product, supported by an outstanding team of industry experts and high calibre Product professionals.
This is an exciting time to join Silverbird as we prepare for our next investment round. You'll be joining a well-resourced team, using a battle-tested design process and well on our way to creaOur Direction
This is an exciting time to join Silverbird as we prepare for our next investment round. You'll be joining a well-resourced team, using a battle-tested design process and well on our way to creating a full design system.
At Silverbird, we believe in continuous reflection, experimentation, and improvement, so your contributions in shaping our design culture will be highly valued.
The teams we work with are world-class - some of the best Product Managers, Business Analysts, Engineers and QAs you’re ever likely to meet. And we hire as much for values fit as we do skills - so you can rest assured that while our standards and pace of work are high, we take the time to treat each other with kindness and respect. This is a lovely place to work.
How We Work
We have a well-defined ‘Ways of Working’ process that starts with a product discovery. We have buy-in on the value of Discovery from the top, so you won’t be having to justify doing good research.
Working with the insight you gathered and in conjunction with PMs and BAs, you’ll create concept prototypes - an opportunity to explore potential design solutions.
You’ll collect feedback from key stakeholders (and users, obvs!) on these options using our established ‘Concept Review’ process. You’ll then move into Solutionising, analysing feedback and creating the final design solution, working with our visual designer to use and extend our design system. You’ll then use our ‘Solution Review’ process to collect final feedback from a wider group of stakeholders and work with BAs to write your designs up into user stories. After that, we refine, estimate, build and Design QA our work.
What the job involves:
- It’s critical you have the vision and drive to lead the user experience of our flagship product. We will want to see examples of you taking complexity, incoherence and uncertainty and creating elegant design solutions with a deep understanding of requirements.
- Helping the team deeply understand user problems through effective research methods and stellar communication skills. Be a passionate user advocate.
- Collaborate with the team to generate and iterate ideas. Facilitate workshops, co-design & sketching sessions, and prototype to create shared understanding and test for problem/solution fit.
- Conceive and run remote user research - both in the early discovery and later validation phases.
- Create assets that capture and effectively illustrate user insight: user journey maps, service blueprints, need/opportunity matrices, cluster analysis, etc…
- Leverage the design system to build high fidelity UI designs, supported by the team’s dedicated UI designer.
- Support engineering teams building from your designs. Be around to answer questions and flex designs as required.
- Proactively contribute to building the Silverbird design culture. Be willing to apply the same processes we use for our products, to shape our design culture.
- Cover key responsibilities when the Lead Product Designer isn’t available.
- Work two days a week in the London Canary Wharf office + occasional international trips as needed.
- You’ve got 5+ years software product design experience including at least 2 years working on B2B SaaS applications
- You’re a strong communicator in group settings. You’re able to explain your ideas succinctly and in an impactful fashion.
- You have a strong portfolio showing how you’ve led product design work to deliver positive outcomes.
- You can interrogate the brief and look beyond the obvious.
- You think in systems, and consider how your detailed design impacts at a holistic level across the whole user journey.
- You have experience working in Scrum / Agile environments.
- You have an appreciation for insight gathering & analysis techniques such as Jobs-To-Be-Done, Outcome-Driven Innovation, 5-whys, Contextual enquiry and you’re willing to take a pragmatic approach to applying the best bits to user research at Silverbird
- You’re a natural bridge-builder, able to communicate effectively with stakeholders at multiple levels and across multiple disciplines.
- You care about making our products accessible and inclusive.
- Ideally, you have experience building FinTech products.
- You ooze positivity, creativity and an infectious drive to learn and improve.
- Hybrid working schedule
- Competitive salary
- Dynamic start-up environment and international team
- Off-site team meetups