Novata is a public benefit corporation created by a unique consortium of foundations and private sector companies bringing together the brightest minds in financial data, private equity expertise, social justice and inclusive capitalism. Our mission is to empower the private markets to build a more inclusive and sustainable form of capitalism. And we are doing so by building technology and tools that enable private companies and their investors to better collect, analyze, benchmark, and report relevant ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) data. We are a talented, diverse, mission-driven team who are driven by growing a successful company and an opportunity to have impact too. We hope you’ll join us.
We’re a team of around 50 specialists of mixed disciplines and experience distributed across the UK and US. Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through continuous delivery of the product so we focus on making small, incremental improvements in order to deliver high quality software, frequently. We’re strong believers in the principles of agile, so we work in small cycles and regularly reflect on our processes making changes where necessary to improve outcomes and effectiveness.
About the role
We are seeking an exceptional individual to join our team as a Senior UI Designer. Our live product, which has garnered an active user base since the launch of our MVP in Q1 2022, is ready to scale and we need someone who can contribute to our company's growth.
Your main responsibilities will revolve around designing and executing user journeys and experiences. You will play a crucial role in shaping unique, user-centric products and creating intuitive interactions. It is essential that you possess experience working in agile teams, collaborating with developers and product teams. Your ability to translate user-experience journeys into seamless and intuitive interactions will be invaluable.
In addition to your design expertise, effective communication skills will be vital. You should be able to convey your design vision to stakeholders in a clear and understandable manner. Collaboration and adaptability are key qualities, as our startup environment is constantly evolving.
While not required, having skills in data visualisation would be highly beneficial. Your proficiency in visualising data will enable you to transform complex information into clear and meaningful visual representations, enhancing the overall user experience.
- Conceptualize, design and implement user-centred application experiences
- Create wireframes, site maps, diagrams/schematics, process maps, feature lists, mock-ups, visual specification, working prototypes and other artefacts to describe the intended user experience
- Understand human behaviour and design best practices to underpin your designs
- Be proactive in proposing improvements in design, function and features as well as sharing knowledge, research and experience
- Work alongside the design lead, product team and development to ensure designs are understood, feasible to be developed
- Creating production-standard deliverables (assets, designs, handover notes, updating style guides etc) and assisting QAs to ship the designs into production
- Give and solicit feedback from other designers in order to continually raise our bar for quality.
- Fulfil additional duties as required.
- Min 3 years experience in a UI Design/Visual Design/Digital Design (or related) role though a strong portfolio and exceptional understanding of UI will be more desired
- Visual design experience with proficiency in typography, desktop/mobile UI, colour, layout, iconography and aesthetic sense
- Ability to communicate ideas quickly and illustrate concepts through sketches, user flows, diagrams, storyboards, mock-ups, wire frames and rapid prototyping
- Solid experience with Figma and typical software that supports production; Adobe Creative Suite, Miro, Google/Microsoft Office Tools, Jira/Confluence, Slack
- Agile scrum experience, working in sprints, with backlogs and feature sets and use of project tracking tools like JIRA, Confluence
- Advanced knowledge of usability and design principles for web and mobile development
- Able to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment; past startup experience a plus.
- Strong organisational and time management skills; ability to shift gears quickly and effectively
- The ability to comprehend and understand brand continuity, brand guidelines and brand positioning
- Experience building and shipping applications or software at the level of whole features/products that encompass an end-to-end experience within a well-scoped domain
- Interaction design experience with ability to define how an experience should behave based on understanding people's needs. Able to demonstrate use of appropriate prototyping tools to show how a particular flow or interaction will work
- Able to clearly and succinctly articulate the goals of your team.
Nice if you have:
- Experience of After Effects and SVG Animation (e.g Lottie)
- Experience/Knowledge of React UI Library, CSS preprocessors, emotion/styled-components, and storybook etc
- Solid understanding of front-end, back-end and the software development life cycle would be a great advantage (HTML, CSS, JS)
- Interest/experience in sustainability and ESG initiatives.
- Applicants must be located in and eligible to work in the UK. We can’t currently support or sponsor visa applications
- Applicants are expected to spend at least 1 day per week in a Novata office, although if that doesn’t work for you we do have some flexibility on allowing more remote work
- Competitive salary, reviewed and updated annually
- Company equity, to promote ownership mentality
- 30 days holiday per year, plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme with a 5% contribution from you, and 9% from us
- Comprehensive private medical insurance provided by Vitality
- Access to offices in London, New York or Washington DC