At Smartsheet, our purpose is to empower everyone to achieve more. As a member of the Experience Design team, you'll have the opportunity to shape the future of work, making our category-leading work execution platform valuable, intuitive, elegant, and engaging.
As the Principal Product Designer, you will lead strategic, cross-functional initiatives, drive quality and efficiency by establishing processes, and leveraging your own expertise and experience to help coach team members and partners to accomplish more than they might have without you. You see yourself as a key partner connecting dots across the company, comfortable connecting with many partners and investigating “what might be” - pushing the boundaries of our thinking.
You are skilled at scaling your influence and abilities. You love to collaborate with designers, user researchers, engineers, product managers, an executives, and inspire them to do their best. You thrive on working well with others… and getting things done. You will represent the end user and evangelize human-centered methodologies across the product team to craft innovative designs that truly meet people’s needs from first-time users to seasoned experts.
You will report to our Director of Product Design for Core Experiences, and you may work remotely from anywhere in the US where Smartsheet is a registered employer.
- Collaborate with cross functional partners and leaders to establish, drive, and articulate a vision for the future of design at Smartsheet based on business goals.
- Act as a team lead as needed, creating workback plans, driving strategic discussions, and landing high quality execution of both design strategy articulation and design deliverable execution.
- Engage with and present to senior and executive leadership
- Plan and lead workshops, including identifying when one is needed and aligning partners across the company appropriately
- Collaborate with a research partner to identify the appropriate plan and methodology to inform decisions
- Own delivery of design deliverables, either hands-on or directing other designers - including narratives, flows, wireframes, mockups, prototypes and pitch decks.
- Establish goals and target metrics.
- Manage the day-to-day and strategic activities of UX designers, making sure that the human-centered process is properly planned and followed.
- Build, evolve and scale UX processes, standards, and tools.
- Gain a deep understanding of user needs and goals and communicate them to cross functional product teams.
- Create alignment with other groups within the company by working collaboratively with product teams to launch new features and evolve existing ones based on an understanding of user needs, business objectives and technical constraints.
- 8+ years of experience in a highly cross-functional role running strategic projects from idea through implementation
- 6+ years leading & mentoring UX designers
- Examples of broadly influential UX work that contributed directly to the achievement of business goals
- Experience designing for enterprise SaaS platforms is a plus
- Passion for the field of User Experience. Self motivated and enthusiastic; knows when it's necessary to seek out guidance
- Experience facilitating activities to gather insights on user needs and goals and conducting usability testing
- Experience finding simple, innovative solutions for complex problems
- Strong visual design skills and sensibilities
- Expert in Figma and modern design and prototyping tools. Proficiency in rapid prototyping.
- Highly organized with planning, conducting, and tracking work
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully with teams across the organization, including Product Management and Engineering.
- Ability to articulate design decisions using qualitative and quantitative insights
Perks & Benefits:
- HSA, 100% employer-paid premiums, or buy-up medical/vision and dental coverage options for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match to help you save for your future (50% of your contribution up to the first 6% of your eligible pay)
- Monthly stipend to support your work and productivity
- Flexible Time Away Program, plus Incidental Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
- Teleworking options from any registered location in the U.S. (role specific)
- US employees are automatically covered under Smartsheet-sponsored life insurance, short-term, and long-term disability plans
- US employees receive 12 paid holidays per year
Smartsheet provides a reasonable range of compensation for roles that may be hired in different geographic areas we are licensed to operate our business from. Actual compensation is determined by several factors including, but not limited to, level of professional, educational experience, skills, and specific candidate location. In addition, this role will be eligible for a market competitive bonus and RSU stock grant upon accepted offer. California & New York: $172,800 to $237,600 | All other US States: $160,000 to $220,000
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, Australia, Costa Rica, Japan and Germany. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We're looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't