? USER INTERFACE (UI) DESIGNER
CONTRIBUTING TO THE CMPA
The Business Capability Enablement’s (BCE) goal is to empower CMPA’s employees and drive product and service delivery through innovation, collaboration, and continuous improvement. It plays an essential role in working collaboratively across the organization to leverage business applications and the supporting processes to continuously deliver value, contribute to modernizing the CMPA, and to deliver enhanced member experience. The BCE is the central part of the overall support model that includes end-users, subject matter experts (SMEs), and business capability owners with oversight from a corporate governance process. The BCE’s cross-functional teams follow flexible and agile ways of working to deliver business value through effective user support, by continuously improving business processes and systems, by proactively leveraging future capabilities while maintaining secure and reliable systems, avoiding technical debt, and by providing a consistent experience for both employees and members.
As a member of the Web team, the User Interface (UI) Designer contributes to the user interface design processes that are fundamental to developing new products and continuously improving existing applications and websites. The incumbent creates visually appealing and user-friendly interfaces across the web and mobile platforms. The incumbent works in an agile environment and collaborates closely with delivery teams to ensure that designs are implemented correctly and that the user interface is easy to use.
The User Interface (UI) Designer also works closely with the Senior User Experience (UX) Strategist and Senior User Interface (UI) Designer to help align business goals with the end user's product or service experience. With consideration for both client and user needs, along with tools such as user personas, sitemaps, wireframes and prototyping software, the User Interface (UI) Designer assists with creating the foundation for meaningful user experience requirements for end-to-end web project delivery.
Additional duties include mentoring developing team members, quality assurance practices and testing tools, web content management and accessibility testing.
User Interface (UI) Design
- Designs user interfaces by creating wireframes, prototypes, and final designs for websites and applications, ensuring that designs meet user needs and business goals.
- Creates interactive prototypes to test and validate design concepts with users and stakeholders
- Works with the Senior User Experience (UX) Strategist and Senior User Interface Designer to understand user needs and behaviours and use this information to design interfaces that meet user needs and preferences
- Helps maintain the CMPA's Design system
- Contributes to style guides defining the design elements, typography, colour schemes, and other visual components
- Works with Developers and Business Analysts to ensure that designs are implemented correctly and meet UI design specifications
- Participates in design reviews and communicates design decisions to stakeholders and team members, explaining the rationale behind design choices and the impact on the user experience
- Stays current with emerging design trends and technologies to ensure that UI designs are innovative and cutting-edge
- Uses wireframe software (e.g., Axure) or develops HTML prototypes to help communicate and test the structure of the application or website to save development time
- Assists with setting up and conducting user research such as interviews, surveys, user-testing, A/B testing and usability testing
- Conducts accessibility testing with various tools (e.g., Site Improve and Wave Web tools) as well as manual reviews to ensure applications are bug-free and comply with standards
- Using research and data, learns and iterates on solutions to continue driving solutions toward user needs while maintaining business vision and goals
- Helps address recurring design issues and areas of inefficiency
- Assists with addressing recurring design issues and areas of inefficiency
- Keeps apprised of the latest UI/UX methodologies, tools, trends, standards, and application accessibility requirements by attending conferences and subscriptions to blogs and online communities (AODA compliance and UI/UX Design best practices, etc.) to assess proper fit to pursue for CMPA
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in a design-related discipline required
- Minimum of 4 years of visual or UI design experience, with a proven track record of designing successful user interfaces for web, desktop and mobile applications
- A strong portfolio showcasing design solutions that are intuitive, accessible, and meet user needs
- Solid understanding of user-centered research and design best practices
- Experience with collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Experience working in an Agile and scrum environment is a must
- Experience with creating design systems and component libraries
- Expertise with software such as Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe XD, Axure, and Miro, or similar tools
- Strong knowledge of responsive design principles and designing for multiple devices and screen sizes
- Experience in current WCAG accessibility standards (AODA) and testing tools
- Knowledge and experience with UX tools, user research, usability testing, and design are assets.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work effectively with team members and stakeholders
- Ability to understand business goals and user needs and create design solutions that align with both
- Skilled at developing design concepts, making design decisions based on research, and presenting design solutions to stakeholders
- Ability to create prototypes to communicate design concepts and solutions
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well with minimal supervision
- Strong attention to quality, detail, and accuracy
- Aptitude to learn and apply new design approaches and methodologies
- Ability to organize and prioritize work while meeting multiple deadlines
- Excellent sense of balancing creative ideas with practical usability
- Handles sensitive information appropriately
- Understands the legal implications of content and design (e.g. privacy and medico-legal information)
- Job Details: Regular full-time
- Salary Range: $81,600 to $109,100 annually - role classified as level 08
- Location: Fully Remote job, working from a home-based office anywhere in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec
- Skills Assessment: selected candidates may be required to complete a skills assessment
- Application Deadline: Wednesday, October 4, 2023 at 4:00pm EST
The CMPA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to being responsive to those living with disabilities and strives to prevent and remove barriers to accessibility. The CMPA will provide support and accommodation in its recruitment processes to applicants living with disabilities. If you are invited to participate in an interview and/or skills assessment and have accommodation needs, please let us know.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) is a key priority, and we actively strive to build a culture of inclusion where employees can be their authentic selves and are valued for their diverse experiences and perspectives.
We welcome and encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and a variety of lived experiences to apply.