Apply for this job
Amber is a new way to buy and sell power, designed for a world powered by renewable energy. We give customers direct access to the real-time wholesale electricity price as it varies every 30 mins and the technology to shift more of their energy usage to the times when cheaper renewables are available in the grid. It’s a cheaper way to buy power, a smarter way to sell power, and the fastest way for Australia to reach 100% renewable energy.
We are growing rapidly and have thousands of customers who love what we are doing and a great product that will play a significant role in driving Australia towards a renewable future. We are backed by Australia’s leading VCs (including Square Peg Capital and Main Sequence Ventures), impact-focused investors and individuals, and most recently by Commonwealth Bank and NRMA.
We’re now at a critical moment in taking the business to real scale as we disrupt a huge market for the better. You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of over 70, with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations. We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world.
If this kind of work gets you excited, we'd love to hear from you! Even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed below, we still encourage you to apply. We're open to all backgrounds and encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
💻 About the role
You’ll be joining a small design team in our rapidly growing Product team, with the goal of building world-leading products and experiences to help Australia shift towards a 100% renewable energy future.
Our Product team at Amber is a highly collaborative unit, wherever possible we get teams to start together, work together, and finish together. We believe our strongest results come from when we work truly cross-functionally, and try to avoid running into the classic “mini-waterfall, design is finished now it’s time for dev” trap.
As such we’re looking for a senior designer, who would consider themselves a design generalist, or at least someone with the skills and working experience in a range of the different sub-skills of design. Someone with extensive experience in working collaboratively with software engineers and product managers to ship beautiful customer experiences.
You’ll be working on different projects, features and product upgrades from day one. You’ll need to be a self-starter with a great deal of self-sufficiency, with experience in project ownership and leadership. Your day-to-day work will be focused on these various projects/features & the specific work streams you will be a part of, so strong project & time management, and multi-tasking skills will be of use.
On any given day you can expect to be performing anything from a wide range of designs, talking to our customers for some hands-on UX testing or research, searching for insights in our customer research and feedback data, working with engineers to do some visual QA on changes that are about to be shipped, polishing up finished designs in Figma getting them ready for build, brainstorming with your project teams on various ways to solve a new tricky problem, checking in on analytics to discover the effects of work that has previously been shipped, or even just putting a bit of shine on the app store release notes so our customers notice that awesome new thing we just shipped.
On top of your project(s) focus we’re also looking for you to be an integral part of the wider product design team, providing ideas for process and designOps improvements.
- Work seamlessly as part of integrated product teams working on end-to-end design projects, overseeing deliverables on both mobile and web platforms.
- Utilise a variety of design tools and processes, such as user flows, information architecture, sketches, wireframes, and visual design, to create compelling and user-centric experiences.
- Collaborate within the wider design team to enhance and maintain a cohesive customer experience across all digital platforms.
- Help maintain visual and brand consistency across all products
- Act as a passionate advocate for user needs and feedback within the organisation. Bring the voice of the customer to various stakeholders.
- Organise and facilitate UX discovery workshops, presentations, and research activities, involving necessary stakeholders in the design process.
- Foster transparent communication by regularly sharing work and design processes, finding the right balance between championing design decisions and incorporating valuable feedback.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the DesignOps function, suggesting enhancements, documenting updates, and participating in the development of the organisation's design system.
Qualifications and skills
- Our must haves for this role are:
- You have a positive mindset: equal parts curious, collaborative, and can-do.
- Five or more years of commercial UX or Product Design experience
- A strong command of interaction and visual design in a mobile environment, reflected in a portfolio of work you have created
- A high level of skill in Figma or another modern collaborative design platforms
- Experience in working and collaborating with software engineers to ship design for mobile and web
- We will look favourably on candidates who demonstrate one or more of:
- Relevant domain expertise from working in a relevant industry sector such as energy or home automation
- Recent experience in an agile product oriented organisation with a focus on “in-sprint” design/dev collaboration
- Maturity to discuss your ideas and work critically, receive and provide constructive criticism and feedback in a positive manner.
- Experience in working with, or building Design Systems
- Experience in UX research, and designing research to help figure out customer needs
- Strong UX writing skills and experience
- We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace and a great culture of people who love coming to work to build a better world.
- You’d be a part of a rapidly growing team of over 90 with expertise across energy, technology, marketing, and operations.
- Be part of a growing technology start-up that will shape the future of household renewable energy use
- Flexible working hours with provision for regular work from home arrangements and a central hub in Melbourne CBD
- We offset 100% of your carbon footprint for as long as you work with us (via Nul)
- Equitable gender-neutral parental leave policies
- An external Employee Assistance Plan for mental health support
- Competitive salary and shares in Amber
- Annual Learning & Development budget to support your personal growth
This is a full-time role to be based ideally from Melbourne, but we are also open to considering the right candidate anywhere within Australia.
We are also open to working 4 days a week if that's what you are looking for. We mostly work from home, catching up in a co-working space in the CBD every now and then. We expect to remain Melbourne based but maintain flexibility between the office and WFH.
🌈 If this kind of work gets you excited, we'd love to hear from you!
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed above, we still encourage you to apply. We're open to all backgrounds and encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
✍️How to Apply
Please include your resume, a cover letter and a portfolio of your work. In the cover letter tell us about the most complex idea you have needed to communicate through design and how you did it.
Our process will generally be as follows:
- A screening interview with one our design team
- A take-home design challenge that should take no longer than four hours
- A follow up in person interview with an Amber designer, engineer and/or PM
- A final chat with one of the founders and CTO.
We promise to be respectful of your time as an applicant while trying to be as thorough as possible in finding the right fit for our team.
"Applications only from candidates already based in Australia please. No recruitment firms."