Lead Product Designer at Simbi
Who we are
Simbi readers fall in love with reading. We are the only reading platform that motivates students to read by giving back to their global community, providing actionable literacy benchmarks and tailored feedback. We are an early stage startup with incredible traction, including partners such as the United Nations High Commission for Refugees and Google.
Through Simbi's online reading platform, students are motivated to read-out-loud by turning their voice into audiovisual books that teach our global community. Our algorithms provide teachers and parents with meaningful literacy benchmarks and efficiently assess student performance as they read into a laptop, tablet, or mobile device, in class or at home. With the largest combined audio-visual book library in the world, Simbi is enjoyed by both adults and children around the world, by strong readers and developing readers. We are a small and agile team, based in Vancouver, Canada who are dedicated to improving literacy through our purpose-driven company values. We uniquely motivate and engage students to read by giving back to our global community of readers through reading out loud as their literacy fluency improves.
Simbi is an equal opportunity employer.
Who you are
An experienced and talented Lead Product Designer who builds simple, intuitive, and engaging reading experiences for the youngest, and the oldest English language learners alike. As Simbi's Lead Product Designer, you will develop robust, iterative, and data-driven customer discovery and design processes, aligning to the overall product and organizational visions laid out collaboratively with the team.
- At least 3-5 years user experience design, 1-2 years user interface design
- A diploma or degree in Software Design, Design, Human-Computer Interaction, a related discipline, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated focus on data driven decision making for User-centred Design
- Expert at planning and leading customer discovery interviews, feedback sessions, focus groups, data collection, A/B testing
- Experience designing multi-platform products, products
- Passionate about literacy
- Proficiency with wireframing, storyboarding, process flows, and related tools
- Skilled communicator in verbal, written, and visual media
- Demonstrated leadership skills, balanced with a collaborative work approach
- High level of work ownership
- Preferably experience in Education/Education Technology
The responsibilities of your new role
- Lead the overall product design for Simbi software, including user experience and user interface, with focus on simplicity, usability, and intuitive interaction
- Act as “Product Owner” in an Agile software development process
- Develop long term product roadmap in collaboration with the development team, based on product vision established by the Executive Product Owner
- Design user experience and user process flows using an iterative, user-centred design process
- Establish iterative processes for collecting decision making data, user requirements and user feedback through user interviews, focus groups, feedback sessions, rapid prototyping, application analytics (click tracking), etc.
- Consolidate disparate application requirements and user requests to form coherent features in line with the Product Roadmap
- Passionately resolve user pain points and usability issues