Senior Product Designer
Shopify powers over a million merchants around the world, and our UX team is obsessed with enabling commerce at a global scale. Everyone who works at Shopify gets a chance to build great experiences; the design team in particular plays a central role in developing an understanding and empathy for our merchants, exploring potential new opportunities, and helping translate those potentials into real products. We create products and services that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the chance to succeed, while also helping some of the world's leading businesses manage enormous complexity.
Our multidisciplinary UX team consists of designers, content strategists, user researchers, and developers, all focused on delivering the best possible experience for our merchants. We believe in testing, iterating, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
Our team in San Francisco is investing in a conversational future, by building products that enable our merchants to run their business using the power of chat, building Shopify’s proprietary virtual assistant, Kit, and making automation and machine-driven intelligence more accessible to everyday entrepreneurs.
Passion and curiosity go a long way. Even if you aren’t able to check every box below, please still consider applying.
- Improve the merchant experience. This includes participating in and running design sprints to define and explore merchant problems. You’ll help your team develop empathy for our merchants and advocate for our merchants’ needs. Data will be just one of the many tools you will use to help inform your work.
- Collaborate with different disciplines. You’ll work closely with engineers, product managers, and front-end developers to explore, build, and ship your designs. You’ll help other disciplines understand the value design can bring to a project and ultimately build and ship the best products.
- Make your team stronger. You’ll provide feedback to your peers to help strengthen your team and Shopify as a whole. You’ll help your teammates build context, strong decision making skills, and empathy for our merchants.
- Ship valuable and high-quality work without sacrificing speed.
Requirements for the role:
- Passion for solving core product problems while balancing all facets of a user experience (strategy and research, information architecture, interaction design) and collaborating closely with multiple disciplines including product, engineering, content, and research.
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative design process including how to develop and use design research, job stories, journey mapping, content modeling, wire-framing, prototyping, user testing, and high-fidelity visuals to achieve human-centred design solutions
- A deep empathy for the user, and tools to help others develop this empathy as well
- Proficiency with current industry design and collaboration tools such as Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, Github, etc.
If you’re excited by what you see here, we encourage you to apply and include a link to your portfolio/Dribbble/Behance. Please make out your cover letter to Tess. We hope to hear from you soon!
Closing date: Monday, May 11th at 9am PST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.