Senior User Experience Designer
As the most innovative company in Africa, we are catalysing the transformation of the continent by empowering its biggest untapped resource — its people. ALX is a Leadership Development Platform that is expanding rapidly across Africa - towards the ambitious goal of developing 3 million leaders who will tackle the challenges and capture the opportunities of the continent. These leaders will transform Africa and create opportunities for millions!
As the newest part of the African Leadership Group, ALX is a bold innovation in talent and leadership development. We merge lifelong learning and development with a purpose-led community, innovation ecosystems and venture incubation. Our goal is to become the gathering place for the top 5% of leadership talent and to scale to hundreds of cities across Africa and around the world.
ABOUT THE DESIGN TEAM
ALX has embraced a human-centered design ethos since its inception, with a primary focus on experience design across our in-person and digital experiences. As we begin a new growth phase, we are ready to build out our design function to focus on user experience, digital products, and visual identity.
As a growing team we have a critical role within ALX: defining and refining end-to-end ALX experience for program participants, facilitators, and staff. To that end, the Design Team creates the frameworks, processes, and systems that support concept development, prototyping, execution, and evaluation related to the ALX experience. As part of this, the Design Team also supports other teams in applying strong human-centered design approaches in order to keep the overall experience aligned.
ABOUT THE SENIOR UX DESIGNER THE ROLE
You are a multi-talented designer who really loves the “experience” side of UX. You think comprehensively about experience, and you know that the interface and the flow are in service to the whole, rather than being the whole in and of itself. You thrive developing high-level concepts and translating concepts into discrete requirements. You are a highly effective collaborator who gives clear, actionable feedback that maintains a high standard. At the same time, you know how to give others the space to create and do their best work.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
UX Designers at ALX are systems thinkers who develop intuitive design solutions to an incredible array of different problems, from how students build self-directed learning journeys, to how community members can discover and collaborate with each other to develop projects together, to how new employees get on-boarded and up and running.
As such, your responsibilities will be;
- Defining and scoping projects in collaboration with product managers and the Head of Design
- Conducting user research, market research, and usability testing to inform concept development
- Creating storyboards, experience maps, and personas that build buy-in for proposed solutions
- Translating concepts into use cases, scenarios, and design requirements
- Building and testing low-res prototypes that blend in-person and digital experiences
- Creating the high-level conceptual structures and end-to-end experience design
- Developing design systems for intuitive experiences across physical and digital elements
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Expertise in at least one of the following and experience in at least one other: Interaction Design, Service Design, UI Design
- Solid experience in creating wire frames, storyboards, user flows, process flows, site maps etc - everything from concept to production
- Working knowledge of online and offline design, brand development and the creative process
- Knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography & limitations of online and offline design work
- Effective collaborative skills with a knack for visual design and passion for seeing products development through
- The ability to storyboard or translate ideas to designers and others, influencing external and internal stakeholders
- The ability to think creativity, be highly driven and self -motivated
- Robust attention to detail, with the ability to think fast on your feet
- Ability to manage time effectively and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines, including the capability of dealing with several projects in parallel