UX Research Manager
Toyota Research Institute - Advanced Development (TRI-AD) was established in March 2018 as a $2.8 billion joint venture between Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC), Aisin Seiki Co., Ltd. (Aisin), and Denso Corporation (Denso) to develop fully-integrated, production-quality software and automated driving technology. TRI-AD is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan and aims to create a smooth software pipeline from research-to-commercialization, and strengthen the collaboration within the Toyota Group in the domains of research and advanced development. The core mission of TRI-AD is to become a world-class software and technology company and to build the safest car in the world. Attracting top talent internationally, TRI-AD has adopted English as its official language in order to facilitate collaboration and partnerships globally.
The UX Research team is responsible for conducting strategic research using a human-centered approach to inform product direction and develop the best experiences of the future. We aim to uncover connections between people, technology, and the environment to build the best user experience for emerging technologies and help solve the biggest challenges in mobility.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We’re looking for a research leader who is empathetic, creative, and is energized by uncovering insights in emerging technologies to create experiences that people will love. You will be managing a team of UX researchers conducting user research on emerging technologies such as self-driving cars, using advanced simulation technologies such as VR and physical vehicle simulators, novel methodologies, and scalable frameworks.
You will be responsible for setting and communicating a clear and impactful research vision and strategy to stakeholders and executives, including being a strong advocate for user research in the product development process. You’ll ensure that your team’s research findings and recommendations are actionable, and advocated and presented effectively.
You should be comfortable with both qualitative and quantitative methods and techniques as well as supporting multiple concurrent projects.
You’ve had plenty of experience (5+ years) conducting research at all phases of the design process and at least 2+ years of experience managing a UX research team.
- Manage a team of UX researchers in designing and executing strategic research studies to inform product experiences, using a mix of qualitative and quantitative methodologies
- Identify strategic opportunities and forward looking research initiatives to inform novel experiences of the future
- Generate actionable insights and recommendations, working closely with a cross-functional team of designers, product managers, and engineers
- Drive empathy and a user-centered approach by communicating research findings to diverse audiences and proactively advocating for the user
- Be a strong advocate for research as part of the product development process
- Minimum 2+ years of experience as a UX Research manager and 5+ years industry experience working as a UX Researcher, or equivalent role, with experience conducting research on emerging technologies such as autonomous vehicles
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction, or a related field
- Proficiency in English and Japanese
- 5+ years of conducting qualitative and quantitative research end-to-end from study design to execution to communication of results and tracking impact
- Ability to work with ambiguous requirements and emerging technologies.
- Master’s or PhD degree in Psychology, Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction, or a related field or have the equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years experience as a UX research manager (or equivalent) managing a team working on products or experiences of emerging technologies, such as autonomous vehicles
- Comfort working in a flexible working environment akin to a startup
- Comfort with working across time zones
If you are currently located at outside of Japan, don't worry, we'll set an interview over Google Hangout Meet or Skype.
By submitting your application you agree to the following terms: