Senior Product Designer
Founded in 2014, BackMarket is the first online marketplace dedicated exclusively to refurbished electronic devices. With 158M€ raised already, we are sabotaging ‘new’ by connecting highly selected certified professionals to consumers who are looking for a more affordable, reliable and ecological alternative to purchasing brand new products.
Leading the way in a shift towards a circular economy, freeing the planet from electronic waste, and building a global leading tech company are three solid reasons to wake up very morning. Taking part in BackMarket’s adventure means committing to an ambitious project with a strong social and environmental impact!
We are committed to providing an inclusive, fulfilling and caring work environment in all our offices (Paris, Bordeaux, New-York, Prague and Berlin). This is an opportunity for you to join a talented, humble and passionate team at the heart of innovation : our Bureau Of Technology.
About us & the job :
Employees for this role can be based from our Berlin, Bordeaux, New York, or Paris office. We’re also open to fully remote employees based in or around Berlin, Bordeaux, London, New York or Paris.
The Product Design & Research team at Back Market are passionate about informing and building interfaces with the user as our focus. We zoom out to see the bigger picture, but also understand the devil is in the details.
We are responsible for the user experience on Back Market, whether that be our customers or merchants, and through designing, prototyping, testing, and iterating, we evolve it in collaboration with different (and extraordinary) people.
We do this because we want to make the world a better place.
After all our goal is to offer more than just an alternative avenue to buy tech products, we want to do e-commerce differently. <3
We’re looking for Senior Product Designers (UX or UI leaning) to join us to make Back Market the most successful destination for buying refurbished.
You’ll collaborate with our Product Owners and UX Researchers to bring a plethora of concepts and product evolution, you’ll work on a daily basis with developers to validate the technical feasibility of your proposals and to ensure the fulfillment of your craft, and you’ll also be connected with other Back Markets functions (Marketing, Brand, Business etc.) to help articulate the needs and expectations of the customer and the business.
As a Senior minded designer, you’ll autonomously own the design vision for key areas of our journey and manage the relationships with product squads, business stakeholders, and other designers to deliver impactful results.
You’re at the stage of your career where mentoring and coaching other designers comes naturally to you, and you are considering your growth path either deepening your role as an individual contributor or taking the reins at line management.
You will be responsible for :
- Being an equal partner with product owners and engineers to build, maintain, and evolve Back Market
- Contribute to the roadmapping and advocating for the right approach, prioritisation, and execution to ensure a best in class customer experience
- Collaborating with user researchers to bring clarity to ambiguous problems with relevant customer insights, and consulting quantitative and qualitative data to inform your design decisions
- Advocating for and facilitating design methods and tools to help your team deliver solutions that actually work for our customers and business
- Ensuring clarity and comprehension in your or your team’s proposed ideas and solutions from conception to delivery through useful documentation and tidy working practices
- Proactively advocating your impact and autonomously communicating progress, learnings, and goals to the company and beyond
You’re perfect for this role if :
- You have extensive experience working in a growing design & research team and can talk about how you have worked with stakeholders to deliver impact in dynamic environments
- You demonstrate in-depth knowledge in design methods and craft. You have a collection of examples where you’ve contributed successful impact
- You have your ear to the ground regarding new tools and technologies that help us become more effective and efficient
- You have a passion to help our small team grow. You can contribute inclusive design practices, are comfortable in voicing your opinion, and love mentoring and coaching others
- You are obsessive about UX or UI design, you have an attention to detail regarding edge cases, hierarchy, contrast, cognition, etc...
- You deliver designs with a systematic approach
- You think about interfaces not as static pixels but as dynamic experiences and can express yourself effortlessly with motion, flows and stories
- You are inherently curious, you are idealistic but you challenge the status quo responsibility and can always find the middle ground
- You are comfortable in communicating professionally in English as we are an international team
Recruitment process :
- Call with HR
- Interview with Ray, our Head of Design
- Live Design challenge with the design team
- Interview with the wider team
- Interview with one of our founders
WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN US ?
• A meaningful job : through hard work, you will help avoid thousands of tons of electronic waste and fight against planned obsolescence. It counts!
• An attractive salary, equity, multiple benefits (meal tickets, health insurance, etc...), parental benefits, remote friendly, relocation package, internal events, etc…
• Technical challenges all day every day : you will have the freedom to innovate and adapt new ideas!
• Work with passionate experts who will share their knowledge and help you develop and grow! (Backademy, technical guilds, Meet-up & Conference)
• Grow your career with a flexible career path, BackMarket can help you evolve!
• A booming scale-up: our environment is rapidly growing in Europe, the USA and soon in Asia!
• A lot of fun : you will have the opportunity to work in a fast paced, open minded and friendly environment.
Backmarket is an Equal Opportunity Employer for any minority, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation.