Senior UX/UI Designer
Motional is looking for a Senior Product Designer to help us deliver a user experience that is intuitive, comfortable, user-centered, and that will develop trust for this state-of-the-art technology. You’ll be on a small, fast-paced agile team, collaborating with other Product Designers, Industrial Designers, User Researchers, Product Managers, and Engineers.
You’ll initially focus in one product space, and will have the opportunity to work on various projects and product areas over time – including the design of our passenger user experience, autonomous vehicle fleet management, driving behavior, internal R&D tools, and next generation vehicles.
Please submit your resume, and an online or PDF portfolio with at least 3 projects that best represent your capabilities, skills and interests.
What you'll do:
- Lead complex design projects within a product space on our team (i.e. passenger user experience, remote vehicle control, etc.)
- Lead collaborative team sessions such as brainstorming with a project team
- Work with user researchers to drive understanding of key user needs, problems, desires, and personas
- Lead UX deliverables including user flows, wireframes, prototypes, etc.
- Deliver polished, pixel perfect UI Design artifacts
- Work with product managers to define goals and focus work
- Plan and lead large complex design initiatives
- Work with engineers to implement designs you create, ensuring quality
- Support researchers in user testing sessions
- Contribute to large design team initiatives such as team design guidelines
- Help define how users will interact with the future of autonomous vehicles!
What you'll bring:
- You are passionate about solving hard problems most haven’t faced before.
- You think beyond just the deliverable at hand, but how all components of an interconnected system work together.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Graphic Design, UX Design, or similar
- Ability to lead major design initiatives with little guidance
- 5-10 years of hands on experience in an in house design team or consulting/design agency
- Experience with planning large workstreams, meeting measurable goals and deadlines
- Strong experience in all stages of the design process, from early strategy and ideation, wireframes and prototypes, to the final implementation of UI design.
- Strong cross-platform design experience, particularly in mobile app design (not just web)
- Experience working closely with engineers in an agile development process
- Experience taking feedback from users, and iterating on design
- Solid grasp on user interaction and animation principles
- The ability to be flexible and inventive, using non-traditional approaches and techniques to design, given our product space
- Experience with industry standard design tools, such as Sketch, Zeplin, Figma, and the Adobe Creative Suite.
Bonus points (but not required):
- Extensive knowledge of accessibility, such as work tailored to meet those needs
- Experience creating UI guidelines
- Animation experience (beyond basic UI animation)
- Physical>Digital experience (exhibits, LEDs, physical installations, TVs, AVs!
- Sound design/effects
- Experience with any sort of programming (i.e. JS/CSS)
- Experience working on autonomous vehicles
Why you should join us:
- This role offers the opportunity to work on extremely challenging problems that haven’t been solved at scale. We’re looking for someone excited to tackle problems such as – how do we make a person feel comfortable with riding in a car that’s driving itself? How can we manage a fleet of robotic vehicles moving around a city? How do we make vehicles accessible without a human to help? Our team is driven, not afraid, to solve problems like this.
- Motional’s Product Team, where this role sits, is at the forefront of setting the vision for our products – from the experience of riding in an autonomous vehicle, to how to manage a fleet, to how roads are mapped, and more. We lead with a user-focused mindset, and as a Senior UX/UI Designer you’ll have a direct impact in shaping the future of mobility as a whole.
- Lastly, while autonomous vehicles have been around for years, we are finally bringing this technology to market at scale. With over 100,000 public autonomous rides, and partnerships with major ride hailing players, a role at Motional offers the chance to drive the next revolution in mobility.
- Rewards and advantages - Competitive compensation with bonus potential, competitive health benefits, 401K with matching contribution, unlimited PTO, commuter benefits, discount programs, opportunities to give back to the community, relocation assistance (if applicable), meaningful work that makes a difference in the world, and and much more!
Motional is making driverless vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
Our team is commercializing a world-class driverless system. The Motional team is behind some of the industry’s largest leaps forward in the last decade, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world’s first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world’s most-established public robotaxi fleet. Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group, one of the world’s largest vehicle manufacturers offering smart mobility solutions, and Aptiv, a global technology leader in advanced safety, electrification, and vehicle connectivity, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives.
Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the US and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.