Senior UX Designer
What We Are Looking For
We're thrilled to be seeking a Senior UX Designer to join the familia and create incredible content and blended learning experiences for kids. We're on a mission to make Encantos the world-class destination for learning 21st century skills with content that kids enjoy and parents trust. With that in mind, we're looking for someone who loves storytelling and learning through play, has a passion for kids content, and deeply respects kids and their intelligence. The work you produce will occupy and delight kids, while also supporting and impressing parents - all over the world!
You are an innovative designer who is excited about education, edtech and integrating digital and physical products. You should feel passionately about developing education-centric consumer product experiences for kids and families.
As a Senior UX designer you will work with stakeholders, product owners, developers, and artists to craft beautiful experiences for children ages 8 and under and their parents. You will be a key advocate of the child and parent experience, applying insights and research to establish and iterate on the details of interaction and visual design. This is a senior position suitable for candidates with 5+ years of related experience.
Who We Are
At Encantos, we're leading the future of learning through play.
Named by Fast Company as one of the Most Innovative Companies in the world in Education, Encantos is an award-winning edtech company focused on inspiring kids to learn 21st century skills. We build direct-to-consumer brands with our innovative “Storyteaching” methodology that both kids and parents love. Our brands are created by talented and culturally-authentic storytellers with diverse perspectives and each brand is matched with the 21st century literacy, learning, and life skills they best model. Our brands include the Emmy-nominated and 2x Kidscreen award-winning #1 bilingual preschool brand Canticos, the Day of the Dead-inspired resilience brand Skeletitos, and the adventure-based travel brand Tiny Travelers. We believe both digital and physical play is critical to the growth and development of kids, stimulating imagination, creativity and a love of learning. With a subscription-led approach, our brands come to life via integrated digital and physical products, including apps and boxes, animated series, books, puzzles, and games that all work together to entertain, educate and inspire kids of all ages.
Encantos was called by The Information as one of the "Top 6 Edtech Startups to Watch" and by Business Insider as one of the "Top 100 Startups of 2020", Encantos has received numerous industry awards and accolades from the AP, ASU GSV, CNN, Common Sense Media, Forbes, Kidscreen, Kirkus Reviews, NBC News, The New York Times, NPR, Parents Magazine, Publishers Weekly, Romper, School Library Journal, Univision and USA Today. Founded in 2016 and backed by world-class VCs, Encantos is a fast-growing startup headquartered in Culver City, CA with offices in New York. As a public benefit corporation, we're dedicated to creating the most purpose-driven family brands putting diversity, equality, and inclusion at the heart of everything we do.
Responsibilities of the Role
- Creating beautiful storyboards, flows, wireframes, visual design, specs, and paper/digital prototypes.
- Working with our art director and product team to craft a brand vision that resonates with our customers and appeals to a broad age range.
- Working collaboratively with a product owner, digital artists, copywriter, animators, and developers to shape products.
- Designing and documenting new experiences with an eye to overall user experience, flow, visual design, and execution.
- Presenting design concepts to the team, then discussing and integrating feedback.
- Working closely with our UX research team to ensure usability and incorporate feedback from play testing sessions with parents and children.
- Understanding parents’ and kids’ motivations and expectations when it comes to user interface.
- Bringing your knowledge of child development related to digital fluency to tailor experiences to the level of each child.
- Degree in visual design, interaction design or a related field.
- At least 5+ years of professional experience working in visual and interaction design.
- Able to synthesize business and user requirements and construct thorough Information Architecture (IA) artifacts that guide the team.
- Portfolio of products and experiences that you’ve helped create.
- Comfortable communicator and excellent collaborator.
- A deep understanding of interface design.
- A strong visual design sensibility and a passion for details.
- Love working with and for children.
- Experience creating and/or working with raster and vector illustration.
- Pride in ownership and work well in a collaborative environment.
- Love to solve problems and are eager to learn new things.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, environment.
- Obsessed with taking an experience from good to great.
What We Offer
- A purpose-driven mission.
- A fun place to work with smart, creative, and driven team members.
- Competitive salary + equity.
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance.
- Paid parental leave.
- Fitness benefits.
As a Public Benefit Corporation, diversity, equality and inclusion is at the heart of Encantos. We believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, Encantos will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.
You are welcome at Encantos for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or how you like to play and learn. Our brands and blended learning products are for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be forward-thinking! Please come as you are, bring us your personal experience, your passion, your perspectives, and your background. This is our Encantos familia and you will feel right at home. It’s in our differences that we will find the ways to fuse entertainment and education to keep revolutionizing the way the kids learn through the power of storyteaching.