We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sumo Newcastle joined the Sumo Digital family in January of 2018. As a former CCP Games studio, we have a solid history of cutting-edge development, and now with Sumo, a spectacular future of ‘AAA’ game development for some of the biggest and best publishers in the world.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for a Mid to Senior UI/UX Designer to join our team here at Sumo Newcastle. This is a fantastic opportunity to be part of a talented and experienced team that is focussed on creating exciting new IPs such as the new stealth action game- Hood: Outlaws and Legends. In this role you are responsible for designing and maintaining UI/UX systems across multiple projects.
In your new role you will:
- Work with the Design Director to define the UI/UX language and experience across a range of new titles.
- Collaborate in cross-discipline teams to define and develop consistent, engaging and intuitive UI systems.
- Ensure our UI/UX designs appeal to a broad audience with a focus on accessibility.
- Conceptualise and develop the flow, wireframes and prototypes for a wide variety of features.
- Create and maintain documentation to ensure the team remains informed about our UI/UX strategy.
- Work with all disciplines to ensure that the UI/UX is integrated correctly.
- Understand the requirements of the franchise vision and adjust plans accordingly when required.
To be successful you will have:
- 2 or more years of games industry or related design experience.
- Phenomenal attention to detail, an analytical eye, ambition and a desire to be creative.
- Experience in user testing, player analysis and iteration.
- A creative and ambitious mind with confidence to explore new concepts.
- An understanding of accessibility features and their implementation.
- A proven ability to present ideas to a wide variety of audiences, both technical and non-technical in a succinct manner.
- An excellent understanding of past and current game trends; particularly in the multiplayer action genre.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills with a passion for working across disciplines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Be self-motivated, able to multitask and understand priorities whilst working under limited supervision.
- A positive uplifting attitude with an open mind, be ethical and a real team player.
What We Offer:
· Annual Bonus
· Share Incentive Plan
· Competitive Pension
· Flexible Working
· 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
· 5 Learning Days
· Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
· Game & Book Libraries
· Wrap Parties
· Alternative Travel Prize Draw
· The Sumo GameJam
· Big Family Events
· Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
· Life Drawing
· Yoga Classes
· Free fruit and drinks
· Employee Referral Bonus
· Career Development
· Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
· Employee Assistance Programme
· Life Assurance 4x Salary
· Income Protection of 75%
· Relocation Support to the UK
· Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Newcastle Studio:
Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying over fifteen years of stability and growth. We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out of office events such as our legendary annual Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and Spyder for Apple Arcade.
We are proud to be in the North-East of England, in our new, purpose-built, state-of-the-art facilities in Riga. Newcastle was voted the number one place that travellers should visit in 2018 by Rough Guide and has everything that a major European city has to offer; culture, heritage, lively bars and fantastic retail. It is an exciting cosmopolitan city while also boasting plenty of beautiful outdoor space including several beaches less than an hour’s drive away.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built on every team member having the opportunity to shine and have real, meaningful input into the games that we create. We pride ourselves on our positive atmosphere and sociable team who regularly partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime and after-work clubs, and charity fundraising events.