User Experience Researcher
We are seeking our first User Experience Researcher to build out an internal research lab and establish research best practices throughout our company.
As a team of many former teachers, we deeply empathize with our users. Currently every member of our team attends virtual class visits and interviews with teachers. Your role will be to help us scale this culture of deep user empathy by growing our research depth, reach and methodology.
As a User Experience Researcher you will be embedded at every stage in the product development cycle. You will work closely with the product lead, product designer, engineers, customer success and marketing to ensure we are using a research backed methodology to improving the entire customer experience. You will discover ways to gather data and findings and turn them into insights and actionable recommendations that will be shared with the entire team and can improve product and design goals.
Your role is to provide answers to the most challenging product questions by identifying research needs and owning the end to end creation, planning, recruiting, conducting and sharing of insights with the entire team and with customers.
Some types of strategic and tactical research you will own:
- Plan: creating a research process that outlines a strategic plan to conducting research that drives actionable insights
- Discover: gather customer insights by persona building, competitive analysis, task analysis, stakeholder interviews, longitudinal studies and more
- Design: rapidly prototype low fidelity sketches & wireframes of potential solutions with product & design grounded in customer insights through low fidelity prototyping, prototype testing, card sorting and more.
- Test: identify risks & unexplored opportunities through qualitative usability testing, AB testing, benchmark testing
- Listen: monitor customer sentiment by surveying, reviewing multiple channels of customer feedback and more.
- Share: create consistent knowledge shares internally with the entire team & discuss industry best practices in external facing channels
Gather and prioritize key research questions from product, design, marketing and engineering
- Work closely with product to help them use research based insights to build a better Classkick
- Work closely with marketing and customer success to tell a cohesive story about Classkick and create valuable content to share with users on industry trends
Develop an internal research lab that consistently recruits research candidates to rapidly test prototypes and ideas
Own the end to end creation, planning, recruiting, conducting and sharing of insights with the entire team
Set up best practices for conducting education research with educators and minors
Who You Are
- Self starter
- Team first. You are open to collaborating with the team but can also manage your own work flow.
- Skilled with both qualitative and quantitative research methods and possess a deep understanding of how to combine the two
- Experience conducting research with minors and/or in education
- Knowledge of the design sprint process
Chicago or Remote (CST working hours), relocation assistance included. Base salary + equity. Classkick has NYC & SF location-based salary increases for all roles.
Tools we currently use: Figma, Jira, Notion, Bit.dev, Classkick
Our interview process includes:
1. Introduction call with the Product Lead
2. Take home case study
3. Virtual Onsite
About Our Team
Classkick is a tech startup that loves helping teachers and students. We love it so much, that in non-pandemic periods, we work out of a school every week or two, and have our whole team visit schools to see Classkick in action monthly. We come home to a half day hackathon and build/fix the product that day! We also have a democratized product culture where any team member can use the product system to push through product changes.
Ed-tech is still a young and burgeoning ecosystem. We believe that by building a great product with a great business model, we will create a lasting impact on students’ learning, on teacher effectiveness and the industry at large. Our teacher and student focused culture helped us make the #1 learning activities platform in K-12 (measured by mean session time and/or NPS), with organic growth in 160+ countries.
Classkick’s culture can be described as collaborative, values-focused, self-driven and empowering. While this is a startup and everyone works very hard, we believe in a work-life balance. We are lean and poised to grow quickly. More at classkick.com, instagram.com/classkick or twitter.com/classkick.
Our roadmap includes exciting platform updates to serve the new post-pandemic world and expand to new markets - all informed of course by teacher and student requests. Catch some recent #featuresbyteachers here, here and here.
Some candidates may see the list below and feel discouraged because they don't match all the items. Please apply anyway: there's a good chance you also have important skills we haven't stated. We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment. Our reach extends to students all over the country and the globe, and it’s vital our team is representative of those we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, underrepresented people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Classkick’s Core Values
- Take Chances
- Create Diversity, Be Inclusive
- Address Real Peoples’ Real Problems
- Work Toward Justice
- Trust and Empower
- Keep It Simple
Why this opportunity matters
Every day, kids come to class feeling engaged, supported and excited to learn because of Classkick. Our goal is that every student in the world is happy and successful in their education.
To achieve this, we connect students and their school work to all the advocates in their learning: classmates, teachers, parents, anyone invested in them. When the right person is there at the right time - whether with a high five, or some help when stuck - that’s when you get more “Ah ha!” and “OH I got it!” moments. Learning transforms from a chore into a fun and intrinsic experience.
COVID19 has thrown into stark reality the need for holistic approaches that work seamlessly in the classroom and remotely. Education will never be the same again and the world has been calling out for more Classkick. Our traffic 8x-ed in a matter of weeks and it’s only the beginning. We suddenly expanded from being a major tool in the classroom, to becoming the classroom itself. Joining at this stage is pivotal and will have high impact on the future direction of the company.