Associate UX Researcher
Who We Are:
January AI is a precision health company based in Menlo Park, CA. Founded in 2017 by veteran Silicon Valley business executive, Noosheen Hashemi, and renowned genomicist Mike Snyder, a pioneer in bringing Big Data into personalized medicine, January AI takes a multi-omic approach to (i) understanding the physiology and psychology of the 120 million people on the diabetes spectrum and (ii) developing smart products to help them optimize their blood sugar. By harnessing science, medicine, and machine learning, our technology discovers how diabetes affects people differently and provides specific recommendations to move them to a healthier state.
While multiple technology solutions have appeared in the last decade to address diabetes, innovation has been marginal, making the sector ripe for disruption. We’re leveraging dense data from wearables, smartphones, and digital health; and developed an ontology of 16M food items alongside algorithms like anti-cheat food detection, food recommendations for glycemic load, and 33-hour glucose curve predictions. We also employ social and gamification strategies to keep users engaged with their health and motivated to level up. Together, these tools power our lifestyle intervention programs for improved glucose regulation and metabolic health.
At January AI, we believe that every day is January 1st, that every day is a fresh start. We believe that health isn’t a place you reach, but the simple process of doing just a little better than yesterday. We believe that self-improvement is a team sport. That’s why January AI is creating a community of everyday people building their healthy habits, together. January AI is backed, among others, by Marc Benioff, Jerry Yang and Steve Chen, founders of Salesforce, Yahoo! and YouTube. If you’re ready to join our team and help grow this community, please submit your application following the link provided.
The role of the Associate UX Researcher at January is focused on ensuring our product strategy and feature development efforts are continually fueled by user insights. Through maintaining a healthy pipeline of rolling insights to shaping and validating design decisions using definitive human-centered research methods, this role is high-impact, while offering early-career individuals the opportunity to learn and practice the fundamentals of UX research. This is a 6-month contract position (possibility for extension), with part-time hours estimated at 20-30/week.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or planned for 2021) in HCI or a related field
- Qualitative research experience, preferably in the health or wellness space
- Understanding of the human-centered design process, and how to apply it to product development
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Inclination towards rigor while comfortable being scrappy when needed
- Deep curiosity for understanding people and how to improve lives through innovative health technologies
- Ability to work within a startup environment with agility and positivity
- Master’s Degree (or planned for 2021) in HCI or a related field
- Applied product research experience in both generative and evaluative research methods
- A portfolio or case study (multiple even better!) that highlights some of your recent work
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a rolling insights pipeline of user feedback, using qualitative data analysis (QDA) methods to define and track insights over time
- Assist with analysis and synthesis of larger research studies, under the direction of our UX Insights Director
- Conduct concept and usability testing for new features during the product development cycle
- Manage participant recruiting and research operations (participant tracking, incentives, etc.) in a methodical manner
- Partner closely with our UX Designers, Product Managers, and other stakeholders to identify and define key research questions
- Summarize and present findings to stakeholders and the broader January team in creative and engaging ways
We'd love to hear from you!
January is an equal opportunity employer.
We are a diverse team and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
This position is located in Menlo Park, CA. Local or West coast-based candidates preferred.
We do not accept third-party solicitation for employment.