About the Position
JustFix.nyc is seeking a UX/UI Designer contractor with 3+ years of relevant experience, with an ambitious entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for tenant rights to join us on our mission to co-create tools with tenants, organizers, and legal advocates to fight displacement and achieve stable, healthy housing for all, leveraging the power of data and technology to support individual and collective action for housing justice. Reporting directly to our Deputy Director, this role will be project-based and focused on working directly with tenants in Los Angeles, California.
- Own the “full stack” design process for our newest product serving Los Angeles
- Lead user research and usability testing to ensure that we have the knowledge we need to make informed product decisions
- Develop initial wireframes
- Create pixel-perfect design mocks and work with our engineers to implement them
- Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows and sitemaps
- Develop and implement a new digital brand
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g. responsiveness and accessibility)
- Conduct changes based on feedback
- Collaborate with our Deputy Director, software engineers, program staff, and external partners to contribute to a product strategy that supports positive impact for vulnerable tenants
- Local to Los Angeles, California
- 3+ years of relevant experience as a UX/UI, product, or interaction designer, with at least part of that focused on consumer software
- Fluency or professional proficiency in written and spoken Spanish
- Demonstrated expertise in defining mobile consumer product strategy that moves metrics. You have played core roles on teams that have shipped successful consumer products.
- Has worked end-to-end on large-scale products with engineering teams
- Experience with conducting user research interviews throughout the product life cycle, and an understanding of the role that research and user testing should play
- Know how to balance “pixel perfection” with timely delivery of designs
- Strong visual and typographic sensibility
- Excellent communication skills. You can bring internal stakeholders on your design journey and support your decisions with data.
- Deep familiarity with the tools of the trade, however you define them
- Experience building clickable prototypes (with either low-code or no-code platforms)
- Copywriting experience, ideally with conversational design
- Experience with internationalization and localization of products
- Able to provide samples of work that show complex and creative UX solutions, thoughtful visual design and solid information architecture
Nice to have:
- Preference for more experienced UX/UI Designers with 5+ years of relevant experience but those with less experience still encouraged to apply
- Interest in civic technology
- Familiarity with tenant organizing and knowledge of the housing justice landscape in Los Angeles
- Flexibility to work with both West and East-coast time zones
- Previously used remote collaboration tools such as Slack, Figma, Google Suite, and Clubhouse
- A passion for social justice and being a part of a larger movement fighting for safe, healthy, and affordable housing
- Self-organization and ability to make, meet, and hold others accountable to deadlines
- Detail- and solutions-oriented
- Scrappy, resourceful, and culturally competent
- Experience building in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)
- Dedication and enthusiasm for building tools to support housing justice
In your application, please share a portfolio or 2-3 samples of your work, focusing on projects that showcase:
- Your experience with complex workflows
- How you’ve designed clear and thoughtful UX/ UI and microinteractions
- Your process for problem-solving (rather than just polished, final design work)
- Your communication skills
$60-70 per hour for 20-30 hours per week from July 2021 to October/November 2021 (Temporary, Contractor).
JustFix is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that builds tools for tenants and advocates fighting displacement. Our mission is to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all — and we think the power of data and technology should be accessible to those fighting this fight. Our vision is to provide tools that make it easier for tenants to know and exercise their rights. By combining highly scalable web-based, mobile-friendly, and SMS tools with advanced housing data analysis, we have a mission to galvanize a 21st century tenant movement working towards housing for all. We are driven by the belief that all renters deserve a dignified tenancy, with access to legal representation, social services, and opportunities to organize while navigating the complex and currently inequitable world of housing.
Our team is supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with a network of over 50 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year.
JustFix.nyc is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.