Director of UX & Market Research
About the role:
User Experience and Market Research at Udemy is an influential group positioned at the intersection of two crucial investments.
Reporting into the VP of Product Design & Research, researchers play a key role in leading and inspiring teams to create the next generation of online learning products.
Our UX researchers bring deep empathy and advocacy for our global customers to every business group in the company - from product and design to brand strategy and content.
Our market researchers influence our brand, product marketing, and acquisition strategies with partners throughout our global marketing team. Together, our goal is to ensure each team has the right insights to develop innovative products and campaigns that resonate with our customers.
As our Director of UX & Market Research, you will lead and mentor a team of passionate and close-knit mixed-methods researchers to help product, design, engineering, marketing, and content teams to create experiences that are usable, intuitive, elegant, and delightful.
For this role we’re seeking an experienced research leader who has a proven track record of building great teams and being a vocal thought leader within their organizations, as well as in the extended UX community.
We value people management skills as much as technical research ability.
Success in this role will require the ability to navigate, motivate, and collaborate successfully with cross-functional teams.
At Udemy, leadership is a function of your ideas, how clearly you can articulate your thinking, facilitate discussions, and the rigor of your research understanding.
The ability to communicate effectively with the executive team and individual project teams - whether on a whiteboard, in Zoom, or a sketch on a napkin - is absolutely essential.
Here's what you'll be doing:
- Lead a team of mixed-methods UX & Market researchers to drive the execution of research across the organization - including for product, design, marketing, and content generation teams
- Leverage research to help define and guide overall business strategy and be heavily involved in annual strategy process; create a clear research roadmap and vision to support key business initiatives
- Expand market research capabilities by developing partnerships throughout the organization, and growing our team.
- Continue to support and grow our research team as Udemy grows.
- Support special projects on an as-needed basis, particularly for high-profile projects
- Enable the team to do their best work by developing processes, securing and managing vendors, etc.
- Act as a voice of the user and of the UX research team in leadership and all-company settings
- Manage and mentor team members, support their development as they lead research efforts across the organization
We’re excited about you because you have:
- BS in Human-computer interaction, human factors, cognitive psychology, sociology, anthropology, marketing or related field.
- MS or PhD a plus7+ years leading research projects in agile product environments, with expertise spanning the full breadth of qualitative and quantitative methodologies
- 3+ years of management experience, and strong management skills with an emphasis on mentoring senior researchers
- Experience working directly with design, product, marketing, engineering, and business teams to gather study requirements and present findings
- Familiarity with both B2B and B2C products, as we lead research across both Udemy and Udemy for Business
- Mixture of experience working in large global corporations and growing start-ups
- Experience onboarding and managing external agencies to augment our strong internal team
- Comfort managing and working with global teams (SF Bay Area, Dublin, Ireland and Istanbul, Turkey)Passion for online education, complex marketplace products, and bringing customer perspective into the heart of it all!
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, millions of students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News