We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place. The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. Calm is passionate about helping people take care of their minds and we believe that Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
- Improving Concentration and Awareness
- Reducing Anxiety
- Improving Memory and Creativity
- Higher EQ
- Increasing Happiness
- Getting Better Sleep
Calm is the #1 consumer brand for digital health, with over 90 million downloads (100K new per day). We weren named Apple’s App of the Year and the world’s first mental health unicorn. Inc. 5000 cited Calm as the 19th Fastest Growing Private Company in America and we were voted the ‘World’s Happiest App’ by the Center for Humane Technology.
Check out the Calm Careers Page to learn more about the mission, our values, and hear personal stories from our employees.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
As a member of the Calm UX Research team you will get to work on exciting research projects in a quickly growing space, using a range of methodologies based on questions and product needs. Your work and insights will directly impact the health and happiness of millions of people world-wide.
About the Role:
We are looking for someone to uncover the behaviors and motivations of our customers, by developing informed narratives to supplement data we collect. You will validate potential new experiences for existing Calm customers through different research initiatives.
You will get to investigate and regularly observe potential new Calm users, and determine how we can better improve their journey across key touchpoints.
You will balance handling large-scale qualitative research initiatives as well as empower product teams to conduct their own research that is informed by research’s strategy and guidance.
Your goal will be to build strong and validated insights that inform Product and Executive teams where best to invest product development efforts that will improve the experience for customers as well as the success of the business.
- Work in an embedded model with our B2B teams, helping understand the unique needs of their customers.
- Plan, schedule, conduct, and recap research sessions with existing users as well as potential new users. Synthesize and develop artifacts (reports, presentations, persona profiles) to be utilized while working with product and engineering teams to prioritize new offerings or improvements to existing functionality
- Build a close relationship with our Data, Community, and Account Management teams. You will be able to leverage knowledge through these partners and help elevate patterns and problems to product stakeholders.
- Derive learnings from large-impact experiments about why they were or weren’t successful, being the bookends on major product initiatives by having continual communication with users through various channels.
- Balance being able to work autonomously while also being able to contribute to and uplevel the rest of the UX Research team and your Product partners.
- Develop a deep understanding of Calm subscribers and enhance their user experience based on insights
- Help further integrate user research into the Calm culture
- 3+ years of working as a UX Researcher in a digital product organization.
- Highly autonomous by nature, with willingness and eagerness to collaborate.
- Effectively communicate learnings from research initiatives beyond your product partners, upwardly to the executive teams and across the company.
- Contribute to and provide feedback on sequencing, cost of investment, and impact of projects.
- Self-Starter and ability to conceptualize a project including the research and considerations needed while prioritizing the work that addresses core areas of improving customer satisfaction and business goals.
- Work hard at working smart. Being able to strategically improve how you work with intention, not just more hours or at a faster pace.
- Comfortable with a variety of research methodologies, and knowing what to implement to being the right insights forward.
- Being able to envision what the future could hold and being energized by those possibilities.
- Previous experience working on products with multi-sided customer offerings
- Previous experience working on products in the health and wellness space or EAP services
- Competitive salary and equity
- “Take the time you need” approach to time off
- Coverage for medical, dental, & vision insurance plans
- Home office stipend
- Supportive wellbeing benefits including our EAP support, and monthly wellbeing reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Remote-first environment that allows you to work flexibly from many locations
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.