Director of Product Design
Morning Brew is a media company that covers the business news and narratives shaping our world. The companies, the people, the workplace, the economy — we nerd out on this stuff, and we’re dedicated to helping our audience navigate it all in a way that informs and entertains.
The Morning Brew team is clever, creative, and growing fast. Want in? Read on.
We are looking for a Product Design leader to join as Director of Product Design. You will define how Product Design operates at Morning Brew and manage, support, and grow a team of product designers and UX researchers. Your team will work on editorial, marketing, and revenue experiences across all Morning Brew touchpoints. You are a strategic problem solver and a structured thinker with ambitions of creating maximal impact for our 3 million+ users across our 8+ brands. You are excited to create fun yet accessible experiences, especially in newsletters and the web, and want to bring your talents to our growing media organization.
This role sits in the Product team and reports to the VP, Product.
Here’s what you’ll be working on:
- Growing, leading, managing, and mentoring the Product Design Team (currently one Product Designer) to ensure high quality output
Owning the full user experience vision and roadmap for Morning Brew’s entire product suite, spanning newsletters and websites across 8+ brands, and internal tools
- Creating a workflow for the team to do their best collaborative work with other designers and product team members
- Leading the creation of simple solutions to complex problems through optimal user flows, wireframes, mock-ups, and prototypes to communicate and validate designs and outcomes
- Developing a design system within the team and a component library in partnership with engineering team for faster, more consistent design development
- Owning creation and validation of user-centric designs based on deep understanding of our users from research and discovery, quantitative data, user interviews, and usability testing
- Collaborate with Product Leadership to contribute to product strategy and define, prioritize, and iterate the product roadmap
- Collaborate with Art Director, editorial, and revenue leaders to meet stakeholders’ goals
- Leading by example with inclusive, accessible design
- Getting involved in projects and requests when needed to support the team's efforts
What makes you qualified?
- 8+ years of UX/product design or other relevant experience, preferably in a media context
- 3+ years of hiring, managing, and mentoring multiple designers
- Experience with and comfort in leading teams in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in conduction and using user research - ranging from scrappy to best-in-class processes
- Passion for branding and visual design, and a demonstrable knowledge of accessible design practices and standards
- Bias for problem-solving and structured thinking, especially in an inclusive, psychologically-safe environment
- Experience working with technical partners to realize the product design vision
- Ability to express your creative ideas clearly and concisely through thought-out rationale
- Strong working knowledge of Figma, Sketch, Adobe XD
- Deeply collaborative, with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Insanely organized, with a keen attention to detail
What else are we looking for?
Character and integrity rank pretty high on the list. Our team is guided by our core values:
· Curious - We strive to learn every day through constant questioning and exploration.
· Purposeful – We do everything with the highest level of thoughtfulness, preparation and focus.
· Empathetic - We are good, genuine people who embrace others' perspectives.
· Challengers - We approach every day with an underdog mentality and are never complacent.
While being surrounded by a bunch of cool people who look great in crewnecks is its own reward, we have plenty more to offer.
Unlimited sick and vacation time: And by “unlimited,” we mean absolutely unlimited.
Remote-work friendly: Work from home, work from the office, work from the moon — you decide.
401(k) employer match: We want to help you prepare for the future, now.
Premium healthcare plans: Your health matters!
Work from home stipends: Upgrade your home office on us.
Annual learning credit: Want to learn something new? We'll pay for it.
Morning Brew is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team that’s representative of our audience.