Fonoa's goal is to change how companies globally handle their taxes, and we're committed to building world-class products. We’re building a fully distributed team. We give people the freedom to work wherever and how they want, enable more fluid communication and put our time where it matters the most - decisions. We are curious, dedicated, and humble. We are building a workplace that fosters inclusivity, openness, and trust, where we can all be authentic and human in everything that we do. We trust the expertise of our employees and give them freedom to solve complex problems to make taxes simple, automated, borderless, and accessible for the internet economy
Fonoa has a suite of API products that automate tax-related workflows for any internet company. Check them out below:
You can also check our API documentation here
We may discover novel customer needs as we learn, and spin up new products as needed. We expect our engineers to own them as they pop up.
Problem first. Solution second
Before starting any work on a solution, make sure to really define/understand the problem.
We are builders at heart
We are a collective of independent and deep thinkers.
We are curious, committed, and humble.
We work with dedicated, open-minded people from all backgrounds who bring in their different perspectives to help us on our mission to make taxes simple.
We’re passionate about making a real impact.
We work remotely
We are building a fully distributed team. We like writing to communicate when meetings are pointless, and meet when it matters. This allows us to work flexibly, efficiently, and focus on achieving goals.
We focus on deep work and put our time where it matters the most - decisions.
We trust you to work on your terms. You decide how you work and where you work.
You have ownership over your work that directly influences the roots of our company.
We make taxes simple
We are on a mission to eliminate manual work when dealing with taxes on online transactions.
We have ambitious goals to make taxes simple, automated, borderless, and accessible for internet businesses around the world.
About the role
As a UX Researcher you will be a part of Fonoa’s Design team.
Your task will be to understand our target customers, internalize our business goals, plan and test different user journeys, and collaborate closely with product teams to build insight-driven user and product experiences.
In addition to conducting primary research, we also enable other Fonoan’s (engineers, product managers, designers, operations, etc.) to learn and apply research skills to global problems. You will play a role in shaping how we build research as a core competency across Fonoa and define how we put users first when conducting research.
You'll play a key role in roadmapping, new features definition/prioritization, and your work will impact both user and business goals. We are solving one of the largest yet unsolved problems in global e-commerce and looking for a designer with a hunger for a new challenge and drive to solve a ubiquitous problem for companies selling globally. Our clients range from world-leading marketplaces, e-commerce, delivery to household-name mobility companies.
What you will be doing:
- Learn about how painful it is for companies to handle tax manually, and think about how our products are changing the status quo
- Work with engineers and product managers to define both the long-term strategy and the short-term tactics for our products
- Work with design team on mapping out various UX/UI artifacts
- Plan necessary research efforts ahead
- Lead critical research efforts and conduct complex multi-phase, mixed-method studies that deepen our understanding of the user experience and drive product strategy
- Identify product/workflow weak spots
- Enable other Fonoan’s to learn and apply research skills by building research programs, platforms, and toolkits that empower them to conduct tactical research
- Engage in building new product requirements
- Partner with PMs for product discovery and roadmapping.
- Communicate with PM’s on technical feasibility of defined product requirements + help define the right balance between what is feasible and what is needed.
- Gather and process customer feedback in order to help shape the future FE roadmap.
Requirements / You would be a great fit if:
- You have 5+ years relevant user research experience working on digital experiences and specialize in generating actionable insights that drive impact; with a plus if your work includes developer-focused, B2B or enterprise products
- You are fully proficient in English. Written and spoken, as we are a bunch from around the world, but we work in English.
- You have excellent stakeholder management skills, both internal and external. You can conduct complex research at scale and demonstrate the use of a variety of research methods, which may include qualitative interviews, surveys, ideation sessions, ethnographic field research, usability evaluation, and diary studies. You might be a mixed-methods researcher, however your strength is in qualitative research
- You can lead, design, execute, and communicate impactful research in a fast-paced, earlier stage product development process and know how to integrate research into product and design roadmaps
- You have a desire to do hands-on research on an early-stage team, from planning and recruiting to analysis and insights delivery
- You tell compelling stories and are skilled in explaining your work, process, and decisions to cross-functional stakeholders and crave feedback to help you produce your best work
- Can balance working with urgency and focus with methodological rigor and adapt as needed for the situation
- You’re a builder at heart, you like the opportunity of having tons of exposure, making things work for a company long term, and have an entrepreneurial attitude for anything that comes your way.
- You’re looking to make a serious impact, and are excited about working in a high growth startup.
Our Hiring Process
We see hiring as a human process. A two-way conversation to see if there is a good fit between you and us. As a startup growing quickly, we also like to keep things streamlined, and currently, our process won’t include a live task, whiteboards or technical assessments.
An idea of your hiring journey with us:
- Meeting with Recruiting to introduce each other and explore mutual interests.
- Follow up via email to cover other questions in a written manner
- 1 hour conversation with our Product Designers and Product Managers to get to know each other and see if you would be excited to work together.
- 1 hour conversation with our co-founders.
We aim to give you the best candidate experience, keep you updated and be transparent with our feedback along the way.
Our take on equal opportunities
Fonoa gives equal opportunities to everyone. We look at individuals for what they bring to the organisation and for who they are as people regardless of ethnicity, race and background.
We currently have over 20 nationalities in our team, we’re continuing to build a diverse team as we want to work with the best people, from all over the world.
Perks at Fonoa
- Competitive salary range depending on experience
- Attractive equity to keep you positively incentivized
There have to be other cool perks too!
- Remote work and async, work from anywhere in the world.
- 25 days annual leave (plus any local public holidays).
- Top tech gear and flexible budget to build your ideal remote office.
- Bi-weekly lunches paid by Fonoa.
- Co-working spaces if you want to switch things up.
- Asynchronous working model; we focus on reducing synchronous time (meetings) to only those that matter.
- Company annual offsite.
- Option to meet team members regularly to do creative work and bond in person.
- We are backed by leading VC firms who have invested in many successful companies (Index Ventures and Omers Ventures)
- Flat hierarchy, open, honest and feedback driven principles.
- Product first culture.
- Best idea wins; we’re all ears when it comes to ways to do things better.
- Interest based groups; cooking, fitness, book club, music, pet, you name it!
- Frequent visits to virtual Fonoa HQ and our Fonoa island on Mibo.
A few more reasons here