Are you a product or UI/UX designer passionate about delivering world-class experiences that solve real African problems for our users and clients? If you are looking for a growth opportunity that will see you involved and influence the end-to-end product development process, keep reading.
Zindi is a start-up whose mission is to be the top-of-mind platform for data scientists to learn data science, grow their community, and build their career. Our vision is to make data science accessible to everyone, and to do that we host an entire data science ecosystem of scientists, engineers, academics, companies, NGOs, governments and institutions.
Zindi works with companies, non-profit organizations, and government institutions to develop, curate, and prepare data-driven challenges. For data scientists, Zindi is a place to access African datasets and solve African problems. Data scientists have all the tools they need on Zindi to compete, share ideas, hone their skills, build their professional profiles, find career opportunities, and have fun.
Zindi has recently completed a seed funding round and is now laser-focused on building out a world class community platform where future and current data professionals can learn data science, grow their community, and build their career. We have doubled our user base since July 2020, and have given away more than $300 000 USD in prizes to African data scientists through more than 100 competitions.
We are looking for a full-time UI/UX designer with a keen interest in data science and a passion for learning. Your role will be to help improve and maintain design and UX on the Zindi platform, identify opportunities for improving the user experience, and provide concept, prototyping, wireframes and final design work for new features and platform improvements. You will work with product, engineering and growth teams to develop and refine a world-class user experience for Zindi users. It is vital that you are detail-oriented, curious, driven, and passionate about delivering a world-class experience for our users and clients. As one of our first key hires, it is important that you are curious, driven, and keen to grow into a designer leadership role.
What will you do?
- You are an ambassador of user experience, visual design, and user-driven product development supporting Zindi’s vision to make data science accessible to everyone
- You will take ownership of Zindi’s Design System on Figma
- You will support product and engineering teams with design advice and implementation
- You will review design processes and methods and make recommendations
- You will manage front-end design of an actively growing and evolving platform
- You will have an expert understanding of the zindi.africa platform
- You will proactively identify bugs and areas for improvement on the site
- You can proactively identify ways to improve the UX, look and feel and polish of the site
- You will manage site copy, such as the FAQs
Core Competencies & Skills
- 4+ years UI design experience
- 2+ years Figma experience
- Relevant qualification in design or UX advantageous
- Experience with design systems, from creation to management over time
- Experience in web and responsive environments
- Experience in UX research
- Experience with Google Analytics advantageous
- Experience with setting up experiments related to user experience advantageous
- Able to engage productively with product owners
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Able to get things done and meet deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
Desirable Competencies & Skills
- Experience with building platforms and online communities
- Demonstrable experience delivering B2C web applications
- Strong drive to improve user experience