Apply for this job
At Yardzen, we believe people are at their best when they’re outside.
We have a simple promise: to help people envision the outdoor spaces of their dreams, all online. Then to match them with the right pros to bring their design to life. Since our launch in 2018 we’ve helped thousands of homeowners achieve their dream yards, make environmentally responsible decisions, boost their property values and get more out of their outdoor spaces.
In short order we’ve become the nation’s most active landscape design firm, using technology and a vast network of local landscape contractors to disrupt the $100 billion outdoor renovation industry. We’ve been recognized as a Fast Company Most Innovative Company, named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work, and written about by Architectural Digest, The New York Times, Sunset Magazine, House Beautiful, The Wall Street Journal and Forbes. And we’re just getting started.
We’re looking for a solutions-oriented and people-focused UX Designer to drive Yardzen forward and advance our mission. As our first UX Designer, you’ll create solutions that drive revenue, increase customer satisfaction, and cultivate innovation across the organization. The ideal candidate knows how to align business strategy with human interaction and usability methodologies for a broad audience.
This role will sit on the Growth Marketing team and report to the CMO, with a close relationship with the Head of Engineering, the engineering team, and other product managers. It is a critical cross-functional role that will have a meaningful impact on growth.
- Drive product design, UX, and UI strategy, and execution across the customer journey, with a particular focus on the user pre-purchase experience on Yardzen.com
- Deeply understand our users and user behavior on our site, identify friction and prioritize design initiatives to optimize conversion rate
- Create user flows, site maps, wireframes, mockups, and low and high-fidelity interactive prototypes for site changes and new functionality
- Facilitate design sprints
- Work collaboratively to align the product experience with broader business goals, growth strategy, and brand
- Define and follow strong product development processes to work efficiently, overcome roadblocks, and ensure alignment among stakeholders
- Liaise with engineering to define roadmaps and prioritize across initiatives
- Discuss design ideas and communicate project updates to senior management on a regular basis
- Create experiences that are ADA and WCAG compliant
- Be a vocal advocate for the quality and ease of our UX, and have strong opinions about what good UX means
- 5+ years as a high-performing User Experience Designer, and are energized by the notion of being the first in the role at Yardzen and what that entails
- Proven ability to define new approaches to complex design problems (ideally in consumer internet applications)
- Extensive experience communicating design solutions via presentations, wireframes, click-through prototypes, and design specifications
- Expertise in user-centered design principles, and best practices for user testing and user research
- Data-driven and understand how to monitor success through analytics and metrics
- Track record of driving continual improvement via experimentation and A/B tests
- Organized and process-oriented, with careful attention to detail
- Appreciation for beautiful design and a strong brand aesthetic
- Experience working with FigmaGreat collaborator with excellent communication and presentation skills for both business and engineering teams; very receptive to feedback
- You believe in the benefits of outdoor living -- from wellness boosts to property value increases
- You’re energized by playing an important role in driving revenue and having an impact on the business
- You believe in empathetic and clear communication
- You embrace change and lead with a growth mindset
- You’re a real teammate and would be described by those who know you as a genuinely kind person. Culture is critical in the early days and we’re looking for goodness and grit.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Yardzen we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Since April 2020, we're a remote-first organization. We believe work is a thing you do, not a place you go, and we can stay connected as an organization from anywhere. We focus on results, not hours. We believe that clearly defined goals combined with awesome people, authentic empowerment, and autonomy create the best results.
Sound good? Let’s talk. We're venture-backed, and value great design, natural light, and fresh air. Join our growing team and be a part of something big. We can't wait to hear from you.