Apply for this job
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We're the company behind some of Canada's leading digital financial products, and are looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, and want to make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
Wealthsimple is a remote-first team and outcomes and impact are more important than facetime, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada or the US. Read ourCulture Manual to learn more about us and how we work.
The marketing website team is made up of designers, copywriters, engineers and product marketing strategists. We collaborate with user acquisition, lifecycle, editorial, production and product teams, and are involved in projects from the outset, partnering with other disciplines at every stage of the process. Our innovative design and empathy for Wealthsimple clients sets a high bar for the experiences we create.
Freelance Sr UX Manager
We’re seeking a freelance UX leader to join our marketing website evolution project and contribute to the delivery of thoughtful, polished designs that are grounded in user needs and validation. In this role we are seeking someone with a blend of both UX and visual design practice who can strategically approach user experience problems and apply brand design systems at scale. This person will also have some team lead experience to be able to review work and provide craft guidance for a small group of UX/UI designers, delivering value to our users and driving impact for our business.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in all phases of the product development process – from conceptualization to engineering execution, and to post-launch success tracking and iteration
- Translate UX insights into actionable recommendations that inform our marketing website redesign
- Provide context, support, and guidance for team of UX/UI designers, inspiring not directing
- Conduct testing and prototyping of our system in order to validate design choices
- Contribute to documentation of the website design system and guidelines
- Conduct design discovery and experimentation to uncover the biggest and best opportunities for our marketing teams to research, prototype, and test design solutions with prospective clients
- Understand and contribute to the strategic direction and vision for the redesign of our website, ensuring that all UX design efforts deliver against that vision
We’re looking for someone who:
- Proven experience leading UX and digital design teams in the redesign or reimagination of customer-facing marketing websites
- Expertise in building and scaling design systems for marketing websites
- Experience leading usability testing and validation using UX research tools such as Maze
- Expert knowledge of the end-to-end UX design process, demonstrating a command of UX strategy and information architecture, distilling the jobs to be done, journey mapping, wireframing and prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity visuals
- Experience employing type, colour, image, grid systems and interaction principles in a way that is balanced, thinking through the smallest details
- Experience developing and enabling design thinking principles, standards, templates and similar across cross functional teams that may have limited experience or understanding in the value of UX
- UX design portfolio that highlights strong conceptual thinking and proficiency in the elements of experience design, including strategy, scope, structure, skeleton, and surface
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your design rationale
- Brings energy, initiative, and a sense of prioritization and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment. You are able to see the possibilities beyond the scope of a problem
- Proficient in UX design tools such as Figma, Principal, Sketch etc
To apply, along with your resume, send us a portfolio that includes a few case studies to demonstrate projects you’ve shipped and their impact.
Please note, this role requires a minimum of 20-30 hours a week commitment on an ongoing basis and ability to take part (virtually) in team weekly and project-based rituals such as standups, kickoffs and retrospectives.
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.