We are a leading digital bank on a mission to disrupt the banking industry. We've built an app with smart money management tools to help our customers live a healthier financial life. We also offer groundbreaking B2B banking and payments services.
Since our launch in 2014, we've surpassed 1 millions accounts in total: including 88,000 business accounts for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Our total deposits, meanwhile, have surpassed £1 billion over the same period.
We're a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company. We've won the Best British Bank award two years running, and now employ more than 800 people across our London & Southampton offices, with more to come from Cardiff.
Everyone at Starling gets the chance to own interesting things from day one, and we’re told one of the best things about working here is the ability to achieve a lot in a short space of time.
We are looking for a Senior User Researcher to help us to build a deep understanding of our customers, their expectations and needs and to help us to identify the right problems to solve - so we can continue to build an experience that helps our customers live a healthier financial life. In particular you will support teams identifying opportunities that lead to the growth of the product and Starling’s personal and business customer base from customer acquisition to activation and engagement, and the delivery of a bar-raising user experience across Starling’s mobile and web apps.
- Develop our user research capability and champion customer research as necessary to design and build better product experiences that are useful to our customers.
- Mentor product managers, user experience designers and engineers throughout the company on the benefits of user research and support them in developing ways of incorporating research into their every-day design practice, validating assumptions and testing solutions.
- Be capable of running in-depth research studies, comfortable with metrics and able to synthesise and present a lot of data. But, you also know and understand the constraints of a fast moving company and are able to assess what research is required, when.
- Be great at using quantitative and qualitative research methods, whether it’s an in-depth study or rapid testing and ensure best practice in our approach to usability, user testing and customer interviews
- Use your excellent communication skills to bring to life customer insight and inspire teams to solve customer problems, informing service propositions, product development and to drive business decisions.
- Very good at collaborating in a dynamic, data-driven, creative environment including collaboration with our analytics team to ensure qualitative insights are used to enhance our usage cohorts.
- Align user research plans and activities with organisational objectives and priorities
We have a culture that is focused on making things for our customers at high speed, and so you should have the following:
- Lots of examples of how you’ve used user research methods to understand customer problems and insights to inform product design and the delivery of bar-raising user experiences.
- Experience of running user research as part of a cross-functional team before including usability testing on mobile, user testing and customer interviews as well as customer surveys.
- Experience of advocating for user research and engaging colleagues and stakeholders in the process, getting them excited about the opportunity to build products that really help customers live a healthier financial life.
- We are ideally looking for someone with at least 5 years of experience in a fast moving, high growth environment.
- A degree in an appropriate field such as Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, or a related field would be fantastic but not necessary.
- 33 days holiday (including public hols). You’ll also get your birthday on us.
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth
- Contributory pension scheme
- Friday breakfast - bacon and egg rolls to vegan sausage butties.
- Our kitchens are stocked with fresh fruit and a range of hot and soft drinks.
- We host a company social once a month and have many varied social groups set up and run by our employees - ForTheWin (a gaming group), Starling FC, book club and many more!
- Discounts on cinema tickets, restaurants, shopping and train tickets via a Perkbox membership
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
- Gym membership options
Full details are available on our careers site