Synthesis is an online enrichment program that aims to cultivate a generation of supercollaborators: individuals with the capability to solve the most challenging problems of our civilization…together. We offer students ages 8-14 the regular opportunity to practice what schools prevent: making consequential decisions, growing through reflection and course corrections, collaborating intensely with peers from around the world, and connecting powerful concepts with real-life application. School is largely a static and single-player experience, while the world demands a dynamic and extensively team-based approach. Consequently, we create team thinking games that are original, unapologetically complex, and designed to surface many kinds of collaboration – only playable within Synthesis.
We are looking for a senior-level UX/UI designer to help us explore and develop this new genre of collaborative thinking games. In this role, you will work on cross-functional teams within our internal game studio to design the next phase of Synthesis and define the style, game feel, user experience, and interfaces that will set the standard of quality for every new game to come. You will work on multiple titles, take an active role in playtesting your work, and always represent the best interests of our players throughout the process.
We are teaching the world’s most valuable skill: the ability to solve complex problems with a team. Our goal is to make an education experience so great that even billionaires couldn’t buy anything better for their kids, and then make that affordable for as many people as possible. Join us.
As a Senior UX/UI Designer working within the Studio team, you will:
- Concept, plan, and design every element in and around each game, from wireframes to final polish. You will have primary responsibility for the game feel and clarity of every screen and interaction.
- Empathize with our players and passionately represent their best interests at every stage of the production process.
- Work daily with developers, game designers, artists, producers, and Synthesis platform teams to implement designs with consistent and ambitious quality—one seamless, premium experience.
- Communicate clearly and articulate the vision of each game across the company.
- Candidly validate your design assumptions through regular playtesting with kids.
- Create mood boards and pitch concepts to explore the unique aesthetic of each game.
- Our aim is to enable small, powerful production teams (4-7 people) so you should thrive on taking responsibility and initiative.
- A professional portfolio with examples of past commercial work. Thoughtful, professional quality is the primary criterion. Hence, a portfolio link is required below.
- 4+ years experience in game development. Experience with mobile and/or indie game development is a bonus.
- Broad UX skills spanning interaction design, user research, information architecture, visual design, UI animation, etc. Experience directly integrating UI/VFX via Unity or other art pipelines is also a bonus.
- A breadth of aesthetics, and genres informed by an insatiable curiosity for art, culture, history, science, and storytelling.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive compensation (benchmarked to California regardless of location)
- Meaningful equity (including optional early exercise)
- 100% covered health insurance for you & your dependents (including medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- One-on-one tax advice: To make the most of our competitive equity-based compensation, Synthesis offers Carta Equity and Tax which includes education on the equity portion of your compensation, scenario modeling, and one-on-one tax advice
- Flexible time off
- Flexible parental leave
Some benefits (such as medical and 401k) apply to US employees only.