Who are We?
Intersection is an experience-driven Out of Home media and technology company that delivers programming, consumer amenities, and advertising to cities. From free internet access to way-finding to real-time information, our products make city life easier and more sustainable. We further enrich cities with experiential programming that inspires and engages people throughout their day. With valuable, diverse audiences in America’s top cities, we provide innovative, data-driven solutions for brands to reach urbanites at scale.
What is the role?
We are looking for a Junior UI Designer to join the Product team and work with the Lead Designer, along with product managers and engineers, to bring ideas to life that enhance cities, transit systems, air travel, and other public spaces. Some of our current partners include the City of New York (LinkNYC), New York’s Hudson Yards, and many transit systems including PATH, SEPTA, CTA, NJ Transit, and LA Metro. You’ll work on UI design for all aspects of our product ecosystem, centered on human-scale digital displays and interactive kiosks in some of the busiest public spaces in the country, and supported by mobile and enterprise web applications.
Our ideal candidate has an eye for detail and possesses a strong blend of visual and interaction design skills.This role is based in either our New York City or Los Angeles office. Intersection has a hybrid work schedule with teams spending 2-3 days per week in the office together.
As part of your application, please provide a portfolio of your work showcasing visual designs for desktop, mobile, and/or touch devices either in web-based or PDF format.
- Collaborate with the Product team to design features that deliver useful information to digital displays, interactive kiosks, and mobile web applications
- Design dynamic advertising templates that leverage the context of displays in public places to engage the public and advertisers
- Work with engineering teams to ensure that finished work meets design specifications
- Create polished designs of Intersection products for potential clients to help win new contracts
Your first 30 days
- Learn Intersection’s corporate, departmental and team goals
- Familiarize yourself with various product lines, with a curiosity toward the product goals and potential opportunities
- Understand the process and tools of design collaboration with product managers and engineers
- Participate in backlog grooming and sprint planning sessions with product and engineering teams
Your first 60 days
- Contribute incremental design updates across some of Intersection’s product lines
- Produce a piece of dynamic content based on existing templates
- Inspect designs produced by engineers with a close eye on adherence to design specifications
- Attend group discussions with product managers and engineers about current projects, asking questions along the way
Your first 90 days
- See your work appear on Intersection displays in a major public space (city street, transit station, etc)
- Work with Product and Engineering teams to produce designs that extend or expand our product offerings
- Collaborate on brainstorming and designing new templates for dynamic advertising and public information
You're great for this role because
- You have approximately 2 years of UI Design experience creating digital user interface designs, experiences, services, and/or applications
- You design with an eye toward the finer details
- You are experienced with using Sketch, Zeplin, Invision, Adobe Suite, and other design tools to create and deliver polished design components and communicate with engineers
- You are comfortable communicating design pitches to internal and external stakeholders and incorporating feedback
- You have excellent collaboration skills and enjoy conceptualizing new approaches to product features through sketches, wireframes, and user flows
- You are eager to learn new techniques and stay up to date with emerging technologies
- You are able to work independently and take ownership of tasks and projects
- You are passionate about the future of cities, transportation, and urban public spaces
Total Cash Compensation: $49,200.00 - $66,000.00
Intersection we celebrate every voice that makes us unique and every perspective that makes us grow. It’s our shared responsibility to create an equitable environment where every employee contributes to the culture of the company. Our products and offerings impact cities across the world and it’s our goal to represent the diversity and differences that make cities special. We will be relentless in that pursuit, because together we are better. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, domestic partnership status, civil union status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status/service, veteran status, mental or physical disability, and all other legally protected characteristics.