Principal Visual Designer
Posted 1 month ago
Apply for this job
Viget is an independent digital agency that has been branding, designing, and building digital products and platforms since 1999. Our culture is ideal for lifelong learners seeking a variety of meaningful work, supportive collaboration with teammates, and a healthy work/life balance. We work from four offices (hybrid) and remote locations throughout the U.S., and utilize a proven cadence of virtual and in-person meetings and retreats to build comradery and stay connected. We love our team.
We specialize in creating flexible, beautiful branded design systems for marketing and content websites like National Park Foundation, NFLPA, and Human Rights Campaign. As a Principal Visual Designer at Viget you’ll be a leader on our team, helping our clients concept, design, and launch complex digital experiences. Your work will encompass all aspects of the design process including discovery, strategy development, UI design, interaction design, and client collaboration. Our visual designers work alongside industry-leading UX strategists, project managers, and developers. In between projects, we share our opinions and write about our methods.
Want more insight? We created a deck in Figma to share all you need to know about the team, our work, and the role.
Our Principal Visual Designers:
- Are exceptional creative problem solvers and visual storytellers who use research, discovery, and strategy as a foundation for making and articulating your design decisions.
- Are trained in the principles of graphic design and have advanced skills in typography, illustration, photography, and iconography to create effective forms of digital communication.
- Understand that motion is an essential part of interactive design, and ensure that it’s considered.
- Deliver high quality design work that supports and reinforces a client’s brand by creating unique web experiences that go way beyond aesthetics.
- Know how to use Figma very well. You can design systematically and create design systems and UI parts kits that are full of personality.
- Incorporate inclusive design principles and accessibility best practices in your work.
- Are interested in and enthusiastic about many facets of digital design and find it exciting that their next project could be a design system, marketing campaign, microsite, or content website.
- Are strong communicators and presenters who routinely articulate design decisions to a variety of audiences.
- Take pride in listening, communicating, and collaborating exceptionally well.
In a given week, our visual designers might be:
- Presenting your design strategy for a project to client stakeholders, leading a client workshop using Figjam, or assisting in a pitch to a potential client.
- Designing high fidelity design comps to present to stakeholders.
- Mentoring and developing members of the design team's skills and processes.
- Creating illustrations and iconography to give a website more personality.
- Providing design direction and insight on various projects.
- Collaborating with an in-house UI Developer to create an accessible interface.
- Developing and documenting a design system in Figma for a large CMS-driven website.
A successful candidate will:
- Have an online portfolio or other example work you can share with us.
- Have experience designing large-scale and complex responsive websites in an agency setting.
- Have a degree, certification, or equivalent work experience showing aptitude with visual design.
At this time, we're hoping to hire a Principal Visual Designer with at least 8 years experience in digital design.
Everyone at Viget:
- Embodies our core values of integrity, work ethic, collaboration, creativity, and lifelong learning (especially important as we continually evaluate and embrace new tools and technologies).
- Values mentorship, learning, and sharing knowledge.
- Writes and speaks clearly and effectively when collaborating with teammates and clients.
- Participates in our commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company.
Compensation and benefits:
- Annual base salary of $115,000 - $135,000 per year depending on location, skills, and experience
- Additional comp available via spot performance bonuses, sales referrals, and new hire referrals
- 401(k) retirement plan matching up to 4%
- 100% company-paid health and dental coverage for you and your family
- Stipends for wellness (apps, gyms, etc.) and connectivity (mobile phone or home internet)
- 15 days PTO (20 after 2 years), 9 paid holidays, and 2 community service days per year
- Up to $2,000/year in conference and training (professional development) budget
How to Apply:
Introduce yourself using this application form. One of our recruiters will respond typically within a day or two.
Please attach your resume and submit a cover letter discussing why you want to work at Viget, and how your previous experience relates to the position described. Examples of your previous work are also much appreciated. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications and are actively seeking people from underrepresented groups to join our team.
Before you get in touch, feel free to learn more about us on Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, Instagram, Facebook, and by exploring pointlesscorp.com.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.
Viget is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where all of us feel valued and heard. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, socioeconomic status, religion, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you have any questions or need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.